Topic

How do you address blisters with VBL socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How do you address blisters with VBL socks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I generally use Endura sports tape on the back of my heels and if really bad, a hydrocolloid bandaid underneath the tape. This sticks really well, but I imagine when wearing a VBL sock (bread bags or turkey bags over thin dress socks) the wetness near that tape/bandaid will go through the roof and thus not stick very well. What do you do?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Nothing fancy, a large piece of duct tape.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Maybe I have sweaty feet, but even in 3-season, I sweat off Duct tape easily. Perhaps it is because duct tape does not breath.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Thanks for the links Anna. I have messed with Tincture of Benzoin and my Endura tape is basically the same as Leukotape (sticky as hell). I don't believe any of those threads addressed blisters while in a heightened state of wetness, like under a VBL, but thx.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I haven't had problems in the situation you are talking about when using tincture of benzoin but I use Rocky Mountain goretex socks and not plastic bags and everyones feet are different.I have never tried this but Will wrote in his article
    First, if you are preparing for a high exertion activity, you can slather your feet with an anti-perspirant to reduce sweating. This also works well when you wear a vapor barrier layer to reduce sweating inside the vapor barrier.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I haven't had any blisters, but I use RBH Designs VBL socks (actually they are more like little booties, with a left foot and a right foot with each pair, and with a fuzzy outer and a unique inner layer). I wear them next to my skin, and they stick like duct tape. I end put with a few small creases in my skin, but these creases seem to lock the socks in place, and if there is zero movement between the skin and the sock, as there is zero movement between the skin and duct tape, blisters don't seem to form.

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ok. First as you are certainly aware, if you routinely get blisters, apply the tape first on DRY dead skin cleaned feet. If said tape is applied on wet feet or even moist you are wasting your time as it will fall off VERY quickly.

If I get a blister I carefully DRY and clean my feet where the tape will go and then apply the tape. Then VBL over this. I personally have very sweaty feet and have not had the duct tape come off. That being said, I use a VERY specific type of duct tape as all "duct tapes" are NOT EQUAL! Some stick Very well, while others are garbage. I will ONLY use Do It Best Duct Tape.

I also commonly apply said tape on the OUTSIDE of my bread bags. This I have found is even better than applying it on my foot as it preserves the bread bag for a longer life.

When using mountaineering ice boots, I have been known to completely tape wrap my heal, so even if said tape loses adhesion it will stay in place. Goes around ankle and under the heel. I have not personally tried this, but have been thinking alone these lines: use the medical self sticking reusable tape. Its about 2" wide typically and feels kinda rubbery. Though this stuff quite often requires tape over it for it to adhere consistently. Give a try tell us if it works?

Cheers

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools