Topic

Walking on water at Tenaya Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Walking on water at Tenaya Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Tioga Pass in Yosemite NP is usually closed in early October due to snow. I went day hiking in Yosemite Valley (12/16/2011) and found that the pass was still open! We drove over the pass on the way back to Los Angeles and found that Tenaya Lake has frozen over (the entire lake). There were kids playing hockey and a lot of people just sliding around on the surface. I am sure that it freezes over every year but the lake is pretty much inaccessible during the winter. Also, the ice was extremely clear and about 6-8 inches thick with air bubble frozen in flight. For most of you this may be common but to a California Native it is pretty cool.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

my favorite alpine lake!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I skied across Tenaya Lake one time. With each stride, in my head I could hear the theme song to the movie "Jaws."

–B.G.–

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Thanks for the first hand report. I've been eying the closure report at the NPS website. I'm hoping it stays clear until after Xmas weekend.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Ice Skating on Tenaya Lake, Yosemite, 12/17/11 youtube

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Tuolumne River Ice Skate
    http://www.youtube.com

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I get to drive through the park a few times a month for work. It's tough gig : )

Here are a few pictures for those who might not get to see it.

Tenaya Lake

Tenaya Lake 2

Tenaya Lake 4

Tenaya Lake 3

Tenaya Lake 5

Tioga Pass

Tenaya Sunset

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Very Nice Ryan!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Weird with no snow

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Yeah. It's a strange winter. The pass was closed at one point in November and then reopened. The people I have asked say that is pretty much unheard of. You could definitely still backpack if you didn't mind the cold nights. There is no overnight parking on Glacier Point Road or Tioga Pass. The same day I took these pictures I had to go out to Bridgeport so I drove over Sonora Pass as well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"There is no overnight parking on Glacier Point Road or Tioga Pass."

Is the Tioga Pass parking restriction only within the national park, or does it extend way down the hill to the gate miles outside of the park in Lee Vining Canyon?

I've never seen Tioga Pass open this late in the season for all of the years that I've lived in California.

–B.G.–

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

I'm not sure where the restriction ends. The restriction starts near Crane Flat. I'm not sure where you could park out of sight between the YNP Entrance Kiosk and the gate at the bottom of the hill.

Ryan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Crane Flat is on the west side. I meant the east side in Lee Vining Canyon. Sometimes the side roads (e.g. Saddlebag) are gated and sometimes not. The main gate on the Tioga Road is near the bottom near the campgrounds. On some years, we have left our cars where the main restriction is and then hiked or skied up the hill to Tioga Pass or wherever. On one year, we were able to drive all the way to the Tioga Pass entrance before we had to turn around. I would be neat to find out where the restriction is on the east side without driving all the way over there.

–B.G.–

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

The gate to Saddlebag was closed when I was there Dec. 24/25th. All of the campgrounds are also closed on the east side of the pass.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools