Topic

Earwom for the holidays

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Earwom for the holidays

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

You know the problem. You are hiking along the trail, happy in your pace, and bit by bit you mind starts to wander…and the next thing you know, you are humming a little tune. In most cases, it's not a tune you would normally choose, and there are people who go to great measures to get rid of these so-called earworms.

As a musician, I have a different approach. I embrace the idea, but I get to pick the tune. If I find myself humming along, I often select the appropriate music for the trail. Sometimes I choose a piece of music that I am practicing, because that really helps me explore the different ways to play certain passages. I take control of the earworm.

Other time times, I simply pick a great piece of music that seems to catch my mood and the terrain, and hum along happily.

So in the holiday spirit, I'd like to share favorite earworm from Handel's wonderful Messiah. And as you are struggling up a steep trail, or down in into deep canyon in the wilderness, this is just the music you need to keep going. The lyrics?

"Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low, the crooked straight, and the rough places plain."

Hallelujah!

YOu can read more of this stuff at our blog: backpackthesierra.com

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

How do you get the rest of the choir and the soloists and the orchestra to follow you up the trail????

;-)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Balzaccom, that's what I do!

The orchestra and chorus are all in my head! I'm singing the alto part (silently, not out loud, which you definitely should appreciate if you're on the same trail!). Seems to work!

To continue, with the first chorus from "Messiah":

And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
    and all flesh shall see it together,
    for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

One of the great things about singing in our your mind is that you are capable of singing ALL of the parts, plus the instruments.

And never make a mistake!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Nice topic! I've played Handel's Messiah several times. Timeless.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools