Topic

Dog friendly trips in Utah?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Dog friendly trips in Utah?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Troy Smith
    BPL Member

@406_t-roy

Locale: Northern Rockies

Hi there,

This is my first post here on BPL, I've been using these forums as a resource for a few years and I figured I'd get a membership and start using it to a greater extent.

I'm hoping to head down to Utah from Montana the second week of May 2012 with a friend who has a dog. We were wondering if anyone could point out any good 4-6 day non-technical backpacks in southern Utah that are dog friendly. Our main concerns are terrain and water.

She does fine in boulder fields (we spent 14 days in the Beartooths and she had no issues) but we don't want to be lowering her down 10 foot cliffs constantly (nor do we want to deal with a great deal of cliffs and we won't be carrying a rope.)

Water is the bigger concern I think. Pretty basic, dogs need a lot of water (especially when they're black…) and we don't want to carry it!

We were also wondering if it's dangerous to take the dog due to snakes/scorpions?

Some basic ideas we looked at were Dark Canyon and Grand Gulch. I believe dogs are allowed in both regions but must be on a leash if in Glen Canyon Natl. Rec. Area. Do I assume correctly?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Troy Smith

Troy Smith
    BPL Member

@406_t-roy

Locale: Northern Rockies

One more important item, I should also note that I am going in for ankle surgery later this month so mileage to be safe will probably be limited to 6-8 miles per day.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools