Topic

Montbell Thermawrap Vest Loft ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Thermawrap Vest Loft ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Just wondering how thick the loft is on a MB Thermawrap vest ??

Thinking about getting one for summer insulation and to boost my down jacket in the winter.

I have a Feathered Friends Daybreak Jacket in size Medium, fit is great but theres not a hole lotta room underneath.
    If possible I'd layer the vest under the jacket. I could layer it over the jacket but I'd need to size up quite a bit and I'd prefer the vest to fit nicely when used solo as that would be mainly what I'd use it for.

Any huge issues wearing the synthetic vest under the down jacket ??

I have read that this vest fit's small so I'm guessing a Large would be in order, 40" chest, 185lbs, 5' 10" ??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not much loft. The Exeloft insulation is so thin in my vest I can hold it up and see light coming through!

For your desired use it would a good choice, however. I mainly use mine in a supplemental role.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I think a size large will fit the bill for you. I'm of a similar size and height, and love my thermawrap vest in exactly the roles you're thinking. I originally got it in size large to layer it over a size medium thermawrap jacket, and I occasionally still use them together that way.

More often now I still carry the vest but use some sort of a down jacket and layer the vest under. And of course, I often wear just the vest, and very common for me in cool-to-cold weather is to layer the vest with a windshirt (I've put the vest both under and over the windshirt, depending on particular circumstances, it works fine both ways).

Indeed pretty thin, doesn't look like it would keep you all that very warm, but I've been very happy with mine.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

is it for static or active use?

for active fleece would work better IMO

for static a light down vest would work better IMO

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Thanks Brian

Just wondering in the sizing again (Damn MB stuff)
    I don't want a loose fit and you have mentioned your jacket is sized medium ?? Would the vest fit you in medium too ??
    I'm after a close fit as I don't have a hole lot of room under my FF Daybreak jacket.

My thought's are the vest might be used while active but it would have to be pretty cold. More use as a summer vest or to suppliment my FF Daybreak down to 20F weather.

I'd love a Blackrock vest but just don't think it would fit under my jacket, those things look puffed !!

Also a warm when wet layer appeals to me. I don't mind the look of the Fleece R2 vest ??

Gees I cannot win sometimes…. It was only a few weeks ago I asked about a fleece vest. A few people PM'd me and said get a synthetic filled vest.
    Now I ask about one and get told fleece might be good. Confused…..

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

my though would be to get a patagucci nanopoofay … or the equivalent from another brand … PL1 if possible

since you are using it more as a static insulation, with only the occasional active use

the MB thermawrap vest really doesnt have much insulation … 50gm exceloft vs 60gm PL1 which is the "best" synth on the market i believe

for very cold days a synth vest has the advantage where you can layer it OVER yr windshirt easily … you arent going to take off yr windshirt and lose heat every time you want to put on/off the fleece …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools