Topic

Ultralight GPS / Mapping Software Navigation Systems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight GPS / Mapping Software Navigation Systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Fred Engel

@fredengel

Many thanks for the insights and adice. I am opting for the NG Topo for now.
    Fred

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Actually, I don’t think any of the existing mapping packages are particularly good. I’ve found maps in the NG Topo State series (for Washington State) that are at least thirty years out of date. And there are USGS 7.5 minute quads that were produced less than ten years ago. The reason for the discrepancy is a mystery to me.

The garmin package is useful for a Garmin GPS, but there are resolution limitations in the data representation and the display that make me cringe.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>. I’ve found maps in the NG Topo State series (for Washington State) that are at least thirty years out of date.

Yes, some quads are very old: Laramie, WY, and Disque, WA, are both circa 1976/1978. However, I went to ChartTiff.com and verified that their digital version of these quads are also dated 1978. Disque, WA, in the REO collection also appears to be the same edition (free WA and OR collarless quads are available at http://www.reo.gov/drg/ ). Some quads just aren’t updated very often.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have and use Garmin Map Source U.S West, National Geographic Colorado, NG Western USA, NG Northeastern USA, and Delorme TOPO USA.

With all of these products, I find the trails, roads and elevation contour lines are not always accurate and the discrepancy will exceed the accuracy reading of the GPS. I upload on my different GPS units (I use Garmin, RINO, Geko and eTrex or Magellan Meridian) and find this issue with all software packages and different units. I do find the Delorme 3-D package really useful on road trips by connecting my GPS to my laptop and keep the application running. However, I feel the 3-D presentation is lacking even for trail usefulness. I do like the many updates Delorme offer free of charge. The problem is you will not know you need an update until you try to use a function or map sectional. I agree that many of the quadrangles used in making all of these applications are older, some more than others, but at least you get the general idea of the landscape.

They all help in low/no visibility, but then you also have to consider overhead cover. Many times I am with a friend and their eTrex cannot obtain a signal while my Geko can or my Magellan Meridian cannot while their eTrex can. I believe this has to do a lot with the type of antenna (patch for Garmin Geko/eTrex or Quad Helix for Garmin RINO/Magellan Meridian), condition of the battery, operating temperature and of course line of sight to the sky above. I have found that units with a Quad Helix antenna offer better accuracy than units with a patch antenna, but then you have more weight.

What I have found works best for me is to upload portions of maps for the area I will be in (Map Source for my Garmin or NG for my Magellan). I then print out hard copies of the NG map for where I will be. I find the National Geographic maps are more user friendly and detailed when printing them out.

I make sure both the GPS unit and the map are set to Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) and my grid lines on the map are set for every 1000 meters. IMHO, UTM is by far the easiest way to find your location on a map and beats the old Long/Lat readings hands down. I can also better approximate my destination by entering the UTM map coordinates (East and North) into the GPS and use the ‘Go To’ feature. If I change the scale on the computer I can get a more accurate coordinate and enter that into the GPS and resize the map for printing before leaving. You can find many articles online for learning to use UTM.

With map and GPS (and standard baseplate compass) in hand, I can go to a clearing, get my coordinates on the GPS and transfer them to the map and know within a few meters, or less of where I am exactly. Then I use my good old compass for following a bearing until my next GPS reading. This also extends the battery life in the unit. I find that trying to use a GPS for tracking my route is not acceptable. Too many times the overhead cover prohibits a valid recording and it uses up batteries faster, meaning I need to carry more.

I never get lost… everybody tells me where to go!

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

This thread goes back to 2005 and now that we are wrapping up 2009, I am wanting to know if there is a more up-to-date "miniature" and "reasonably priced" gps than the Garmin Foretrex 101 that fits in with my desire to go more lightweight.

I'd like a very small gps, weighing one to two ounces, has good battery life, and uses replaceable batteries. The only feature needed would be UTM readings to verify my location on a topo map on those occasions when I am not exactly sure if I am where I think I am or if I am on the right trail!

Does such a unit exist or is this a pipe dream?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I don't have one of these (I still use my Garmin 60CS), but I grabbed this link off another posting here…

http://www.wintec.com.tw/en/product_detail.php?pro_id=77%20style=

Sounds like exactly what you want…

Good luck!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Don't think the Wintec shows UTM coordinates?

Willem Jongman

@willem

Many modern cellphones have basic gps built in these days. Assuming you already take a phone, these smart phones may be marginally heavier, but not much. I now have one, and my early experience is that battery drain is their biggest problem. So I think they are useful as an extra backup system to help if you seem to be lost, but no more.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

The Wintek would be perfect if it had UTM coordinates. Now to find the "holy grail", something like this with UTM! Most areas in which I hike do not have cell phone service so I do not bring one beyond the trailhead.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

A colleague has this one. If you want, I can ask him if it supports UTM.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools