Topic

Reflectix vs bonnet insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reflectix vs bonnet insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

any one try using the bonnet insulation for the cozy?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I've been using Reflectix, happily, but I don't know what "bonnet insulation" is. Describe it and link us up!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Bonnet could mean 'hood'. The insulation I've seen attached to hoods have been too stiff to work with. The insulation around hvac piping might work.

Perhaps 'windshield' shade was meant, and yes, that has been attempted with successful results.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I do a lot of work with British car manufacturers. A bonnet is the hood of a car, and a boot is the trunk. Here is the US, women wear bonnets and some people hike in boots. The UK and US have a lot in common, and we are only separated by our language :)

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

yes I mean the hood (US) , after you open the hood, on the hood you will see some silver insulation.

I learn my English in Hong Kong and Aus, so i really dont know thats also call Hoods or trunk :P

Just like thongs or call g-string hahaha

coz the Reflectix is hard to get from outside USA so i m finding alt material to make a cozy.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Jason, try a sun shade. They're cheap and easy to find. One like this:

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If you can't find what you exactly need, would thin bubble wrap covered on each side with aluminum foil work?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I think that would work, Nick, but it would be a lot heavier than the microthin-aluminized layers in the mass-produced stuff. I think the window-shades and similar products are available in The East, because I noted that's where some of them in my auto-parts store say they were made.

The reflective insulation under the hood of my cars is too think and heavy to be useful in the outback, since it incorporates a thick felt to deaden sound.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Try searching for 'Thermawrap'. That's what the UK product is known as.

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Thanks you guys for all the brain storming!!

Eugene,
    Yes the sun shade is very easy to find in here, as it is a very comment stuff! Some of them i dont know is it a foil laminated or just spray on, i think laminated will be more efficiency. But i will check them out!

Nick,
    I have also got the similar idea if i cant find the Reflectix, my idea was use those thin soft foam and stick with those foil sticker, the foil sticker is quit comment in here to warp around for the air con piping! But i dont know how the out come of the weight! Let see

Erik,
    Why i asking the hood insulation coz i find something that is quite thin in here, around 0.7cm so that's why i questioned on this topic. Or may be the material is different then the state!

Thx Mike, i will look for the Thermawarp in here too!

Haha hope can make something out for this winter!!

Cheers
    Jason

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Large envelopes made with a plastic outside and a bubble wrap inside can be used. Either cut it short for a bag style cozy, or cut it open then use the flat material to wrap the pot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools