Topic

Long Trail -Vermont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Long Trail -Vermont

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I'm interested in Vermonts "Long Trail". I have the "Green Mountain Club" site and am planing on getting their map & guide book in the future.

Are there any other sites out-there on the "Long Trail"?

Thanks,
    Doug

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Trailforums.com is a great source of information for nitty-gritty details about selected trails, including the Long Trail. It was very helpful to me in putting together information for my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. Much of the information you might seek is probably already covered in existing posts, but you may also want to ask specific questions. I asked about preferred resupply points, hostels/lodging, and most recent snowpack conditions, and got very good responses in return. If you are through-hiking, the Long Trail End-to-Ender's Guide is a very helpful source of information for planning resupplies and town stops as well. You can buy it from the Green Mountain Club.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Douglas, I thru-hiked the VT Long Trail(05) what would you like to know?Kauai

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Gene, just looking for general information.
    Duration.
    Difficulties encountered.
    Any on-line accounts of the trail.

Gene, correct me if I am wrong, but your picture is not of any place in Vermont, right?

Thanks all the best,
    Doug

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Doug, Great chuckle there, no, those pictures were'nt what I had in mind to post up for you. I'll get to those in a day or so.

Duration is what you set it at, minimum 3weeks for me, though I took 5 weeks and enjoyed myself the whole time.

The Northern 1/3rd has some of the rougher, more solitary terrain of the trail IMO. The Central part more 'hilly type mountains' IMO. The Southern portion sarts out steep from the AT end of things and has more 'off trail/re-supply access' to it.

It's a great trail for those folks who don't have the time to do a thru-hike on one of the other majors like the PCT, AT, CDT,etc.

I'm not a mileage junkie I go for the views, and the solitude; as you'll see in more of my photo postings now that i think I have that tail pinned on the donkey.

I found it helpful to take my original maps and get copies made; then I had the originals laminated for souviners.

I have to dig out the stuff i have this weekend to get you more info. I currently am in NJ, though lived in New England for over 20 years and know much of the area in the 5 states. Still trying to get back to the 'Dacks to do more up there. Bear Mtn NY is a dayhike for me.

Tim W

@watters

The LT is a nice trail, tougher than most think, suitable for lovers of "the long green tunnel" type of hiking. Plan on about 5 weeks to thru hike it.

Here are a few sites to get you interested.

http://www.47ipsd.us/Web_LTAlbum/welcome.html

http://users.net1plus.com/tdriskell/longtrail.html

http://hometown.aol.com/vtlthiker/index.html

http://www.longtrailhike.com/

OneTim (Thruhiked in 2000)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools