Topic

2-man winter tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking 2-man winter tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm about to pull the trigger on a TT Scarp 2 W/ripstop interior and crossing poles. Primary use will be winter camping. The total weight will be about 4.75 lbs. Weight off my wallet will be $375.

QUESTION:
    What 2 person, free standing, double wall tent LESS costly than a Hilleberg and less weight than (or equal to) the Scarp 2 should I consider?

Two vestibules would be nice but not required. Must have mostly ripstop inner tent.

Paul Hope

@paulhope

Where do you plan on using this tent and under what conditions do you usually find yourself in during the winter?

i.e. heavy snow, strong winds, above treeline etc? Any future plans or expectations for the shelter, Denali, Aconcagua etc?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

I have a Scarp 1 and it is a fine tent but for 4 season use I am going to purchase a Hilleberg.

Cheers,

Stephen

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'll use it in the western mountains like the Spring Mt'ns. just outside of 'Vegas, the Sierra Nevada, northern Nevada's Ruby Mt'ns. and possibly the Rockies' Indian Peaks range.

If I get the Scarp 2 I will shorten the crossing poles and run them Inside the fly, corner-to-corner, with the ends in wedge-shaped Cordurs pockets sewn at the apexes of the corner CF rods. I've done this with my TT Moment and an inside configuration gives better canopy support.

IF a Hilleberg 2 man tent is lighter by enough I suppose I could cough up the extra money. I'll check HJilleberg's website. Whatever it is it must be freestanding (except the vestibule).

But is there an American brand 2 man, 4 season tent at 4.75 lbs. or less? I haven't found one so far in a double wall of ripstop fabric.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

What you plan sounds like it will make the Scarp very strong, just be careful of the poles causing friction damage.

I really fo like the Scarp but the material is very lightweight.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> is there an American brand 2 man, 4 season tent at 4.75 lbs. or less? I haven't found one
    > so far in a double wall of ripstop fabric.

Basically, no. The American vendors (and their Chinese manufacturers) go for the mass market, and that does not include severe winter conditions. For what you are looking for you need either a Northern European or New Zealand tunnel tent: those countries have that sort of weather as a norm.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools