Topic

New Golite Line NOW for sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Golite Line NOW for sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Outside pockets don't do me much good while riding but I'm coming from a mountain biker background, not a hiker. I've got pockets in my jersery already for things like a windshirt or a camera and use both a bladder inside the pack (water only) and often a water bottle (with sports drink) on the bike. If I found the right type of waist belt with pockets perhaps I could ditch the cycling specific jersey but I've grown accustomed to it and on the trips I've left it behind I always miss it.

I'm looking for a small, durable pack that's got a waist belt and sternum strap, has a real sized torso (Flash is shorter than I'd like) and is just a little bigger than the REI flash with a more distinct closure. We'll see how the Ion does when it gets here. The GoLite Dawn I have is a step in the right direction from the REI Flash UL but it's too big, too heavy (relatively speaking), made out of too much silnylon and has too much extra crap hanging off it.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Christopher … what is the recommended torso size for the large? Ion??

And, does the volume change with the various pack sizes? or just torso length?

Thanks!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Quoting an earlier email from GoLite:
    "The large torso will be available for 19.5 – 21.5 inch spine. The size large will have about a 1700 cubic inch volume."

Based on that I'd say that they're about 100cubic inches extra for the medium and 200cubic inches extra for the large. I have a large Dawn and it is much better than the REI in terms of ideal fit.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Christopher, you said
    "I'm looking for a small, durable pack that's got a waist belt and sternum strap, has a real sized torso (Flash is shorter than I'd like) and is just a little bigger than the REI flash with a more distinct closure"

This OR pack is longer and bigger than the flash (which I have), but has the distinct closure and larger size. You can add a sternum strap for a few dollars. 346g for 30L. Too big or heavy?
    http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600outdoor research drycomp summit sack

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Thanks Christopher … that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

I've looked at that pack before. It is interesting but I haven't got to play with one in person to figure out if it would work. I don't like the side pockets and I'm guessing the material is closer to silnylon than Dyneema? Plus it's 3 ounces heavier than the Ion and has lots of little dohickies that are not pleasing :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Grease- grey
    Tempest- blue
    Avocado- bright green
    Iris- purple
    Burnt orange- burnt orange
    Lip- red
    Palm- light green
    Crimson- crimson red

aaron mount

@amount

Locale: Sierra Foothills
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Lucky dog — always nice to have an auction where a newbie is determined to win no matter the cost!

Happened to me once — I was able to sell my used sleeping bag for a buck more than what I paid for when new! :)

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

That is unbelievable that the Golite Breeze would go for that! there is a medium one on ebay right now also, but nohwere near that price. I guess those who wanted it had to have the size large.

I just got an email from backcountrygear and my Jam 2 shipped out today! I have always had wonderful service with Backcountrygear. They have been quick take returns and usually have what I want in stock. Again, they have come through for me. I can't wait to get the Jam 2 and go out and use it!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've noticed Breeze packs going for higher and higher prices. I think they are becoming collectors items- or at least some people REALLY want to keep using them!

I'm hanging onto mine- that's for sure!

What else will end up in the UL hall of fame? An original floorless Tarptent perhaps? Anything with an original GVP tag? With Beyond Backpacking out of print, watch those prices too!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

And here I was hoping I could have snagged it for $30 or so. Little did I know…

I guess I'll quit looking for them, since I need a large size in just about every type of pack out there :(

Tom

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

I have a couple of thoughts on this one:

1) was it was RayJardine's personal Breeze? [it was listed as USED]

2) i have two Breezes; one with over 1000miles on it (i added a 2oz padded wing hipbelt off of a LLBean daypack), AND the other….[maestro, drum roll please]…

is completely, totally, 100% NEW and UNUSED.

Wonder what it would bring on eBay?

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

You could probably retire ;)

Tom

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

You're going to be a rich man!

That pack was just a normal Golite Breeze. They were unchanged through their run. But yes- it's the "Ray Way" design by Ray Jardine and one of the Golite originals.

Man, I remember that first Golite catalog so well. It had the Breeze, Gust, and the Day (a small Breeze). It had the Cave and the bug netting part. It had the Coal jacket and a couple of rainwear pieces. Also one of the primiere wind/bug jacket/pant combos of its time. I bought 2 Breezes, a Gust, a coal, and 2 sets of wind clothing. God that was cool. I was transformed!

In fact, I'll give you $450 for your new Breeze. Ha! Cancel that- I still have mine!!!

Ultralight memory lane ain't very long folks!

Doug

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Got a GoLite Breeze *prototype* over here – from before the company was born – AND it was worn by Scott "Yo-Yo" Williamson on the PCT for a spell. $1000 obo. :)

Actually, I'm holding on to it, even though the shoulder strap foam is basically made of cheese cloth on these pre-tweaked design. Call me a sentimental sap!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Cool Brett! Could you post a picture of that? I'd love to have a look!

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Sorry for the delayed reply, just got in from a trip! I ordered the Jam2 in grease (grey). Yep, John Shannon's guesses on the colors sound right to me.

One thing to be aware of, according to Ryan's Frameless Backpacks Analysis (2003): "GoLite (Jam and Dawn) underestimates user torso lengths for their packs by a half to full size (1.5 to 2.0 inches)". So sizing up may be in order, especially at relatively heavier capacity when torso collapse becomes more of an issue. I'll try to post my initial impressions this weekend when mine arrives.

Here's the link to that article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00194.html

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Brian,
    What is the volume of the main packbag? I've been looking for a very light, large volume pack with an internal frame for winter. I use the Mariposa, but would like a little bit more main pack bag volume – than 2900 ci.

Are you going to be at OR? I'd love to do an audio interview with you.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

The Ion is slated for delivery tomorrow. I've got a long ride scheduled for the weekend in Moab if the weather doesn't change it's mind so I'll report back after I give it a good test. Of course I'll probably also post initial impressions up here too :)

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

OK, GL Breeze prototype below. A latter-version I guess; not a whole lot different from the final pack. Mainly the shoulder straps are thinner, with less robust foam (note my jury-rigged pieces of z-rest) and no blaze-orange bar-tacking. (That's standard webbing on the straps, never mind the pixel aberrations in the photo). Other differences include, most notably, elastic cord and toggle on the rear stash pocket and side bottle pockets, which was both more secure and more convenient than the final-production stretch webbing, and was per Jardine's original specs. Also, the upper ends of the shoulder straps were box-stitched into the back panel instead of the outside. And the prototype's mesh was less robust than what ultimately emerged for public consumption.GoLite Breeze prototypeGoLite Breeze prototype

And just for fun, here's a prototype 2-person 3D quilt. Actually, it was barely roomy enough for one person, but according to legend this was Ray and Jenny's personal quilt, which fell upon some misfortune at the laundromat, was sent over to GL for whatever reason, and ultimately went out for field-testing. Photo taken at the Saufley's along the PCT in Agua Dulce.prototype 3D quilt

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Very cool- thanks Brett! Really cool to see those prototypes!

Hey all- another new Breeze going for a lot on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230077028956&rd=1&rd=1

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

That's not the first time that pack's been listed either. Deal must have fallen through or something.

Tom

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

I think we're seeing a trend here…

Crazy!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Yeah, that Tom won't be able to snag one….EVER!! :D

Tom

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools