Topic

Niteize Knot bone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Niteize Knot bone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I was at the sports authority yesterday and the Niteize Knot bone caught my eye. I thought this could be used instead of line loc 3 for cord cinching down and a lot stronger with no moving parts.

The knot bone has a eyelet that cord could be ran through and anchored and sewn on to the pack. Then just pull the 2.5 mm cord tight and wrap it around the knot bone and lock in to place. This could be ultralite weight almost indestructible way to replace side release buckles and ladder locs for compression system on backpacks.

http://www.niteize.com/products/knotbone

What do you think?
    Terry

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

Not a horrible way to go about it.

How large are they, though? Easy to lose? That might be a problem if they are not permanently attached.

Although, why not have the tightening end of the cord, say for a compression strap, tied in small overhand knots every 2 inches… Then if someone made a small piece of nylon, easily sewable into a pack seam, that had a notch in it the size of the cord so the knot would catch in it. That way you could just pull the cord and slide it into the notch at 2 inch intervals.

It wouldn't give you the option for micro adjustments, but it would save weight for compression straps or roll-top enclosures. And there would be nothing to lose.

Seems like wrapping a cord around the knot-bone is going to limit the length of adjustments, anyway, both incrementally and in total adjustment.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Dion,
    The holes in the middle of each end go all the way through so that where you would run the small cord, flat cord,seam tape anchor and sew it in to pack. Where you want compression straps or a cord to hold a roll top or flap top down.
    Then only use one side for infinitely adjustable cord chinch for compression or roll, flap top down on a backpack. The knot bone from looking at it was about only 3/4 or 1 inch long. what cool is when you order the packet with cord it looks like sterling cord with reflective threads running through it.
    The beauty of it is no moving parts to break.
    Terry

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Ah. I see.

Didn't look at the Adobe pages, so it looked like an indention, instead of a hole.

I have to think more on this. Those Knotbones might be more interesting than I originally thought!

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Now that I'm home from work and have had a chance to look at these things more, I am truly intrigued.

I wonder if you could have one of these attached to the end of a cord on a roll down top to a bag, and then simply be able to have a similar cord for compression on the side of a bag. The free end to could easily be pulled snug and then locked into place on this doo-hickey.
    Actually maybe even attach the knotbone to the compression cord, with the ability to pull the cord and attach it to itself. And yet, you should still be able to pull the cord from the roll top and attach it to the other side. Hmmm.

Couldn't find a weight on these anywhere on the website, but surely they couldn't weigh much, right? Less than a cord-lock, though? I dunno. Might have to try to pick up a pack of these and see.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Terry, these things could serioulsy help with tarp guy-outs in the winter. You wouldn't need to remove your gloves or tie a knot during set-up. I'm still trying to see a flaw.

Dave

P.S. ohh, just saw load limit 25lbs ? Wondering if that will be a problem with a snow load.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Hmm, Niteize is notorious for understating the capabilities of their products. A lot of their 'biners are rated for just a few pounds yet have repeatedly stood up to 50lb loads for bear-bagging (BPL used them in their bear bag kits).

So 25lbs may be rather conservative. Plus a snow load would be distributed over several of these which should help. If you're looking at snow loads at the knot-bone's limit you may be pushing the capabilities of your shelter fabric as well…but I'm from AZ deserts so I'll be honest that I'm not familiar with cold weather camping.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> these things could serioulsy help with tarp guy-outs in the winter.
    Choke!
    Sorry, but I have to very strongly DISagree. Try working out how to use one of these in a storm when everything is covered in ice from the previous night. Then try finding it when you have dropped it and it has blown away.

Yeah, I am being hard on them, but while complex little things like these look great in the design office, it's another matter in the field!
    KISS!

Cheers

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I think that the line goes trough these little things and is knotted off – so they have as much chance of getting lost as a line loc. tying them off can't be anymore difficult than the multitude of knots I've had to learn over the years. I'm just not sure they are worth the weight or stong enough. I do tend to like my gizmos – I have a closet full of them – gear swap, here I come.

Dave

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I agree with Roger. Gadgets that seem good always have some downside that makes me stick them in one of the unused gear bins.

For tarps, the best I have found was a heavy duty hair tie. Loop these through the loops, or grommets if you have them, then tie on a short length of line. Thise give several inches of adjustment for staking around rocks, maintain tension pretty well, and even shed ice pretty easily as well as providing some clearance for ventilation.

On packs, a simple truckers hitch works well enough. Some fine cord (say, 1.5mm) saves a tiny amount of weight. Avoid spectra line, it slips too easily, though. Even with gloves on, I manage to get these knots done…

Ian Skelton
    BPL Member

@inotleks

Locale: Pacific Northwest

FWIW – I am getting a reading of 2 – 3 grams on my old, proving to be inaccurate, kitchen scale. They measure 1 7/16 x 7/8 inches.

Nite Ize Knot Bone

Here is a pic of a few different configuration options.

I have been using them on guylines but I could see their value as a pack tie down.

They make a Knot Bone Lace Lock that might work even better on a pack.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

What's wrong with the simple old plastic line tensioner bar? You know, the little plastic strip with 2 or 3 holes in it. I have a hard time believing you could find something lighter. Is there an issue using these with some of you guys' really thin line?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Hi Roger,
    What do you recommend for severe weather use. Please tell us.

Being a fair weather friend of backpacking, a little triptease and a tautline hitch work just peachy for me; but, it would be nice to know what is best for bad weather, in case I decide to build a bomber tent.

BTW, those little plastic thingies with the three holes have been made for over 30 years by the SMC company in Seattle, are very strong, and are good for all sorts of MYOG uses. They used to come in white plastic, but now are found mostly in black.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"old plastic line tensioner bar"

They work fine if your cord is the correct size for the holes. If the cord is a completely different size, then you have a problem.

I made some of those myself, and they worked good, but for only one of my six types of cords.

–B.G.–

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

These actually already come attached to AE's single line tarp suspension along with a Figure 9 thingy at the other end…or maybe it's Whoopie Slings who does… I can't remember…

I don't know how useful they'd be to ground dwellers who don't need trees to wrap their tarp suspension around…

IMHO it seems pretty superfluous when you just need to attach your tarp to your poles and the ground or whatever (I literally have no idea how ground people tarps work :p )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools