Topic

UL me for winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists UL me for winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Does anyone want to give me ideas for a UL 7 day winter Loyalsock trail Trip?
    I own
    Osprey Exos 58
    Tarptent SS1 and Kifaru para tarp with annex
    Big Agnes Insulated core inflatable
    Ti-goat bivy
    Score seat
    Tyvek ground cloth
    Campmor sleeping bag 0° & 20°
    Ems titan jacket & titan 1/2 zip
    Polar tech silk like tights
    Wool socks
    Wooly hat
    Dry ducks
    Military compass heavy but I love it
    Maps
    Small first aid kit
    fosters cook pot in 1a ziploc container choke hazard2 ally stove small bic pot stand wind screen cozy bandana and spoon all fit inside
    Hyper flow filter go
    100oz camel back
    Bottle of heet
    Toilet
    Pocket chainsaw I love a good fire but who doesn't.
    Tooth brush paste small travel size.
    I'm just not sure bout the layers clothing and so on
    Pick it a part pull it apart what have you
    I got 300$ I can use towards gear. Im a bit green I'm the ultra lite department .
    Thanks in advance,
    Doug
    Sorry for the mishmosh list

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i did that trail this summer. man what a great couple days. you'll be walking beside streams the majority of your time. you may want to consider having 3 pairs of socks. there's a good chance your feet will get soaked. parts of the trail were really sloshy. maybe take 2 grocery bags to put your feet in when you get to camp if they get really cold.

headlamp? camera?

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Yeah I forgot to put that in my list.am I missing anything on my list for a pa winter?
    Thanks for the heads up on wet feet

Paul Hope

@paulhope

For those not familiar with the location, could you tell us your expected temps and weather conditions (snow, wind, rain, blue-bird days etc)?

I ask because your list is confusing and I can see some glaring holes in this gear if you expect cold temps.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Thats what I was trying to say it's that I know I have gapping holes I'm my list. especially in clothing and other stuff that I'm not sure of yet.. place of interest is williamsport PA.. I'm going to have time off from work due to lack of, so figured I shouldn't waste my time on the couch.. So what I'm trying to say is I need help….

Paul Hope

@paulhope

Doug,

– You have two sleeping bags listed, a 20deg and a 0deg— are you expecting to be closer to one temp or the other or even colder that you are looking to double bag?

-If you are looking at cold temps below 20degF then I would look for additional ground insulation; your BA Insulated Aircore will not suffice without another CCF pad under it or you could upgrade to something like an Exped 7.

-Forget an alcohol stove in winter also. Switch to white gas, yes the stoves are bulkier and heavier but they are tried and tested and unlike alcohol they will actually work in those single digit temperatures.

-Filter, forget about it sub-freezing temps– water will freeze and crack the filter. Chlorine tablets and boiling are much more efficient and reliable for long-term winter use.

-Your clothing is also lacking for those zero degree temps– a good down parka and pants would go a long way or at least a heavier baselayer like Cap 3, Cap4 or even R1.

-I don't see any gloves in your list– you will want liners and an overmitt at the very least. I use OR PL 400 and the BD Mercury mitt, the latter will probably be overkill above 5deg– but good glove practice is essential in the winter.

-If you expect snow, look at gaiters to keep the snow from getting into your footwear and wetting out your socks. Being wet in the winter can cut a trip very short.

-I also advise against bladders with a hose in the winter– they freeze. A good nalgene with a cozy/sleeve works much better when your water freezes easily.

-If you are expecting artic winds/blowing snow then try to cover as much of your exposed skin as possible– think balaclava over hat, ski goggles over glasses etc.

-Dri ducks– probably great for 3-season use, but poor in winter for keeping out those winds. Look for a good hardshell in wet conditions or a good softshell in dry conditions. For the former you could look at Goodwill or Arc and find suitable 3-layer Gortex jackets that will hold up for a season or 2.

-Winter also for me equals snow– so I automatically think microspikes, crampons, snowshoes and ice axe. Not sure if you need this on your trail, but it is worth finding out before you go.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

looks like it's time to go christmas shopping for me.. I got most but need better clothes. And micro spikes and a few others.., thanks for you info

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

FWIW, an alchy stove will work in cold temps, but will likely require priming (or longer priming) and will take longer (using more fuel than normal) as would any stove in winter. So if you don't have another stove you can get by with it. Test it in your backyard on some cold mornings to see how your particular one works. I made and use a Super Cat.

IF you had to melt snow for your water, definitely not, but sounds like water will be plentiful for your trip unless these streams totally freeze up.

If you have money left after getting your clothes, you may get a stove. I'd personally go for a remote canister that you run inverted.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Why the filter? If you are looking at sub-freezing temps the water in the MSR will freeze and likely crack the hollow tubes of the filter. Not only will the ice plug the device and make it a heavy lump of useless plastic, it'll also degrade if not destroy the filtering ability making the whole thing useless. if you have snow bring extra fuel and melt it (7oz of extra fuel should be far more than you need, and still the same weight of your MSR).

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

I'm with Dustin on the filter, they don't do very well below freezing, try some aquamira/micropur tablets. I've never been to the area you are going, but if you are walking next to water for most of the trip you can probably ditch the 100oz camelbak for a single bottle and a platypus to carry extra water to camp/cook if needed. Also, do you need the bivy and the tyvek?

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

I've also got an msr whisperlite that I will bring..

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Well for for now I'm going to hold off an do some trial/era on day trips..
    maybe someone wants to pm me with their winter gear list so I can go off of that.. Thanks for everybody input

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Aqua Mira and chlorine dioxide tablets require a 4 hour wait with very cold water to be effective against protozoa like Crypto and Giardia, which are probably the most likely pathogen in most waters. I use a Steripen (which must be kept somewhat warm itself), boiling, or just melt snow.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

I have taken my hyper flow camping during the winter steel head season tent camping with no peons.. Just got to baby it keeping it in your jacket during the day and in your bag @ bighorn temps averaged lower 20s @ night..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools