Topic

Links in the body of posts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Links in the body of posts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Why isn't there auto detection of URLs in the body of posts, and yet there's a naughty word filter? You cats are obviously smart enough to build custom(?) forum software, so for the love of all that is holy and just, please auto-detect URLs in posts and create links. I assume this website is written in Perl (hence the cgi-bin folder in your URLs), so this is a trivial, 5 minute task that would improve the usefulness of this site immensely.

You could even do one better by implementing something like Markdown as the new default forum body markup language, which was even originally implemented in Perl and comes with a BSD (free for commercial use with no attribution) license!

So easy, so much value. Will you do this already?

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

To make this even easier (I really want this implemented), I wrote some javascript that does this for you. Drop it in your main.js file and this will just work, and will have the added bonus of working on old posts as well.

Edit: Hard to paste, so here's a URL:

https://gist.github.com/650b3226131a7c1db493

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hi Kyle!
    We feel your pain. Unfortunately, the forum software is hosted and maintained by a different company. Unless we choose to pay through the nose to tweak anything (even minor things), we have to play by their rules.

We're hoping to change this in the coming year. Until then, thanks for the handy bit of code!
    Addie out.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Does that mean you're going to add that javascript to the main.js file? Because that would be swell.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Until we get link detection, I use a keyboard shortcut that automatically inserts the html code for me along with whatever link I have copied to my clipboard. On a Mac, I use TextExpander. I'm sure there's an equivalent tool under Windows.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

On a Mac… I'm sure there's an equivalent tool under Windows.

Ha! Maybe.

I use Google Chrome as my browser. Highlight a URL, Right Click, and pick Open Link in a New Window.

The browser also has a built in spell checker.

Oh, I am sure someone will point out some severe security risk in using this browser :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools