Topic

How many of you bought “Long” sized bags for winter camping?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking How many of you bought “Long” sized bags for winter camping?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Just curious…I read articles about putting boots inside sleeping bags (sealed up) to keep them warm.

I plan on rocking liner sock, VBL socks (baggies), medium wool sock, trail runners, and Fortybelowzero overboots. Not sure what I'll need to put inside foot end of my quilt/sleeping bag from this setup.

I also will prob have 2l (longish) platypus hot water bottle crammed down there and down booties w/ my size 11 feet.

I am 5'9" tall. Would a 6' long bag work or do I need a 6'+?

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Bryce,

I thought about this too, bought a REI Halo women's 10 degree long 6' bag (mens 0). The womens bag has a little more girth, it was on clearance at REI, 3 pounds, I am 5'8", 155 pounds, there is room to roll over in the bag.

Have only slept in it one night so far, had a 48 oz Nalgene bottle between feet, socks, trail runners, stove canister in stuff sack between knees, surprisingly it was fine, the overshoes would be fine along hips but I put mine under bag, on top of pad. I left my down booties outside of bag, there is room to wear them in it though or put along hips.

If your bag is tight, you might need the length, if roomy, then 6' is fine.

I buried my other Nalgene bottle upside down, in the snow, in my shelter, didn't freeze at all.

That was first winter trip, it snowed all day long, beautiful, best trip ever.

Eric

Eric

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I have one winter bag in a long, but not for gear. I tough it out in the AM, any water gets tucked in a winter boot and clothes thrown over that to slow freezing down. I don't care to introduce any extra moisture to the bag, although most trips are one night.
    Duane

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

What moisture do you think would be introduced with a hot water bottle and overboots/trailrunners in a plastic bag?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Both of my winter bags are size Long so I can keep boot liners, water and battery operated items warm. I"m 5' 10" so Long sizes (in winter bags only) are good for me. I planned it that way after suffering with a regular length bag for one winter.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I see you mentioned sealed up, my error. I toss and turn, it would be in my way. I'd rather some things air out a little. As they say hike your own hike.
    Duane

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Well I have a long size bag for winter camping but then again I'm 6'2" and need the room.

As for the gear you're thinking of placing in your bag:

1. Boots- I don't sleep with my boots in my bag but I do hike with VB socks so my boots don't get wet and don't freeze. Personally I think that bringing my shoes into my bag would be a pain and require some waterproof bags for each shoe / boot to keep my bag dry.

2. Overboots – Don't need to go in your bag.

3. Water – I sleep with a water bottle between my legs so it warms my femoral artery. I've tried sleeping with the water bottle at my feet and it didn't keep me as warm.

4. Bag length- with all the gear you want to put at your feet I'd think you'll need a long bag to keep from crushing the down.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Chad, you're #3 reminded me of something.

My dad is a deer hunter which means he spends hours sitting perfectly still in cold weather. He's not generating too much body heat sitting in a tree in winter. He wears a Marmot power stretch base layer with a Napoleon pocket that is directly over his heart. He puts a Hothands in there and he swears that it keeps him warmer.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Well I am a deer hunter and avid winter backpacker and I know from personal experience that it keeps me warmer. ;)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

The need for a longer bag for keeping gear warm depends somewhat on preferred sleeping position and the temperatures. Once it gets below 40F, I sleep in a mummy bag on my side with my knees bent. There's plenty of extra room in a regular bag then, as I'm 5'9". I'm not likely to put much into my bag at night until the temps get below 20F, although there would be an increase in stuff to bag migration below 0F!

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Not to go too far off topic, but wouldn't it be harder to keep your feet warm if you've got extra space to warm up down by your feet and a pair of cold and wet boots in a bag?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

First off the extra space is taken up by insulated gear, ie boots, jacket ect. If you still had too much room then you could simply fold the footbox over on itself and reduce the extra space at your feet.

Second your boots shouldn't be cold or wet so that isn't an issue. Even if your boots where damp they would be placed in a waterproof bag so the impact on you keeping warm would be minute to none.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

OK, thanks Chad

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

gabriel

you can put a hawt nalgene in that bag with yr stuff to use as a hawt water bottle for sleeping … itll help keep you warm

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Eric, a hawt nalgene…like this?

hawt

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

lol Travis!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

He puts a Hothands in there and he swears that it keeps him warmer.

I tuck one inside my neck gaiter over the carotid. Works very well.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I apologize for the thread drift. My bad.

But a question about hot hands and the environment…. Since they're all natural (iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal and vermiculite), would it be totally uncool to rip one open and distribute the contents into the wind after it's been used and cooled down? It would cut down on weight and bulk.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I've read other members emptying contents to save weight b4. Seems ok to me.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

It's not ok, at least to me. Pack it in pack it out.

You wouldn't throw your uneaten organic, biodegradable food on the trail to save weight would you?

EDIT TO ADD:

Besides a hand warmer packet is about he size of 1.5 packets of catsup and weigh less than an ounce. You're not going to be saving much on weight and bulk.

I should know too as I use two hand-warmer packets per day in conjunction with foil bubble-wrap containers to keep my diabetic supplies warm during winter trips.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

The hot (hawt) nalgene trick can work very well. In fact I've actually gotten too warm using a hot water filled nalgene and had to take it out of my bag for a bit to let it cool down.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

@ Chad and co.: I hike in Steger Mukluks in winter, and I put them in my inside-out GG comp sack. Never had a leak or issue, and they come out nice and warm and pliable the next AM. Also, I hike in VB socks.

Also, I'm 5'6", but use a long bag (good for those 6-6 folks) – I fill the bottom with down coat, boots go right in front of it (toward head).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools