Topic

Ultralight fire starter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight fire starter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just found a source for 1/8"x2" ferrocerium rods (firesteels)– another way to shave a couple ounces off your base weight for $3.50. Dig deeper and you will find a five-pack for $15. This is something BPL should have!

http://survival.instantestore.net/pd_mini.cfm

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I have found that if you cut up inner tube rubber from a bike into little squares that it makes a great firestarter. It's easy to light, burns a long time, and is darn hard to put out… smells when it burns but it's very light. A few 1x1cm squares works well.

mark henley

@flash582

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Jim,

I carry a small chunk of balsa wood for when I absolutely cannot (rare)find any local firestarter. It is SUL and does'nt give off fumes when it burns. You can get some at any hobby supply store.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Did I mention rubber burns like crazy when it's wet?

Gene .

@tracker

Yup, ya' did, and I've carried some ever since i started bicycle touring back in the '70's, Inner tube works great as a fire starter, i was just offering another SUL item for those folks who want to get wayyyyyy down in weight for cheap. Just playing with a chunk of 6x6x6 balsa at the computer makes you want everything to feel this lightweight!

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Did I mention that it smells bad when it burns?

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Anyone mention it is also toxic to breathe? Pollutes the air? Even small amounts?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm told dryer lint makes a great firestarter.

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I use to use lint from the clothes drier.

Doug

James Pitts

@jjpitts

I'll remember that next time I burn a 1x1cm square of the stuff.

james solomon

@dralahiker

Locale: Southeast USA

Yup, the drier lint is a great way to recycle.

Lint compresses well, too. A small zip lock of lint can start a dozen fires or more, and weighs only a few grams.

Don't breathe the smoke if you've had a lot of synthetics in the drier, though. Hmmm….

Gene .

@tracker

You want mainly cotton dryer lint, the synthetic stuff sometimes just melts into a blob.

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

I saw a TV special on "survival" where the guy carried a few corn chips *fritos* to start fires. Something about the oil in the chips..? Anyway, light and reliable it seemed. And in SUL tradition, it could be used as a snack if you didn't need fires. :-) Anybody ever try this in the real world?

Thom Kendall

@kendalltf

Locale: IL

I am little more traditional. I carry some bird nesting and a couple open pine cones dipped in parafin (think spelled correct). The pine cones start very easily and are free!!

Gene .

@tracker

I never leave the trailhead without a can of Pringles in my pack Jane! See the thread in food! They burn like a mini torch for a bit stuck in the notch of a stick. Great UL trail snack(ful of junk)nad if you NEED a firestarter there they are! Plus, the container is'nt that easy to crush; yet easy to store in your pack.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Mark said: This is what I carry … and it's less than $3

Below is the tale of the tape on these. Weights are in grams. Weight of the small one without the cord and striker is 5 grams.

Does the small one make as much spark as the FireSteel? No Way!

Was I able to use the small one to start a fire (drier lint and frayed twine for tender) on this warm 18F MN January morning today? You bet!

Hot Spark Fire StarterLight My Fire Firesteel

James Pitts

@jjpitts

A mini Bic lighter weighs .4 oz if I recall, so about the same as the little flint/steel combo.

Gene .

@tracker

Jim C yes, the little fire steel is a great addition to your ten essentials kit, but it's not the end all in fire starting.

James is on point here with the mini Bic for daily use for stove lighting, which ever kind you use, and it's way more convienent to use than a flint and steel IMO.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Jim,

That looks like the Boyscout flint stick that I have. I believe that mine weighs about .15 oz. But, I do not carry the steel since I standardly carry my Victorinox Classic knive that weighs about .6 oz. So for emergency purposes, I carry the flint stick which only adds an additional .15 or so oz. to the load.

Rich

Mary Simpson

@maryphyl

A fourth of an esbit tab will light wet wood. A couple of cotton balls with some vaseline works well too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools