Topic

Shelter, Sleep System Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Shelter, Sleep System Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

I'm new to winter backpacking, and am putting a kit together for this winter. I'd like to have something that is good down to 0* in the KS, NE and MO areas.

I already have a Shangri La 2.

I'm planning on purchasing:

– Hammock Gear 0* Top Quilt
    – Exped Downmat 7
    – Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy

I'm thinking of going with Hammock Gear because it seems like one of the less expensive winter quilts out there. The inclusion of the bivy is designed improve the efficiency of the quilt and also block drafts from underneath the shangri la 2. We don't always have snow on the ground in the winter in KS, NE, and MO to make it easy to block wind.

I plan on wearing my thermawrap pants and MB Alpine Light Down Jacket to bed if needed.

I want to make sure this is a good approach before I buy all this stuff. Thoughts?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Seems like a good system to me. In fact I use a very similar system for winter backpacking in northern Minnesota / southern Canada.

One thing I've found that is important is the width of your sleeping pad. I find it nice to have a wider pad to keep parts of my bag and body out of contact with the cold ground. I myself use a Downmat 7 but in a 24" width due to my wide shoulders.

Also make sure you have a good balaclava / hat as you'll need it with your quilt.

Good luck and have fun!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Though I've only used 20in pads, so I have no comparison, the articles on BPL state not to use a wide pad as that leaves pad "out in the open" that isn't covered by your body and quilt/bag to keep it warm during the winter….thus heat lose from your pads.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Consider the quilt width of the Hammock Gear Burrow, 50" is a bit on the narrow side IMO.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I agree it is a bit narrow. My JRB is 52 wide and just right for 3 season. With a puffy down coat in the winter, might serve better to go to 54in?

Paul Hope

@paulhope

Unless you a small guy then the quilt maybe far to small for any type of layering. My Feathered Friend's Peregrine is 64" in the shoulder compared to the 50" of the Burrow and I couldn't imagine going much smaller once I have my down jacket and pants on.

For a quick and dirty test, just cut a piece of string 50" and wrap it around your shoulders to give you an idea of how much room you will have, then put on your layering clothes and repeat the test– then imagine squeezing all of that into the bivy– I didn't look up those measurements.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Check out Tim Marshall's quilts:
    http://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation.html

His prices even beat Hammockgear, but they're sensibly sized. You get 3.5" inches of overstuffed loft, wide sizes for the same price, and a zip/cinch foot box.

Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't thought about the width of the quilt. I'm 6'2", 210lbs, so that could be an issue.

I'll shoot Tim an email at Enlightened Equipment about the Revelation. I'd like to have a sewn footbox in my winter quilt. I assume that is a customization he can make.

@Bryce
    – I'm planning on doing the Exped Mat 7 in medium which is 20" wide so I should be good there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools