Topic

How do I get the B.O. Stink out of my pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do I get the B.O. Stink out of my pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

edit: I saw you DIDN'T necessarily want to go the Mirazyme route…

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Konrad,

"Caveat: the Simple Solution Pet Odor remover is scented (pretty sweet smelling). Ingredients are Purified water, denatured ethanol, non-pathogenic bacteria, natural enzymes, mild detergent, fragrance."

Be sure to either rinse extremely well or keep all platinum a safe distance away from your "new" to you pack. ;-)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72580&skip_to_post=619313#619313

"(thank you doggy that pooped in my apartment)"

Amazing, the things we are sometimes thankful for!

Amazing, the things we are sometimes thankful for!

It stinks that the condition of the pack was so terribly misrepresented. Glad you found a solution to your problem. Thanks for sharing the answer to it with us. Now we can all benefit from your success.

Party On,

Newton

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

McNett makes a treatment that uses microbes to literally eat the organic compounds that stink. it's also easy to use. I found it didn't get the stink out of shoes, only lessened it. However, it transformed my tent back to brand new.

Here's a link:

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Wow…you must really have wanted the pack – what is it? I hope you at least gave the seller a bad review on eBay.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

So, here's a product that's designed particularly to de-stank from sweat: "HOGWASH". http://stokedskateboards.com/organic-hogwash-spray.html

Now, it was originally, literally, developed to de-stink pig sweat, but it's marketed to skateboarders now (skate pads and helmets take on a rancid stink that make an eBay-find backpack seem lightly fragrant) and I can tell you that the stuff works very well. The link above goes to a skate shop that sells it. Here's the company site: http://www.ohogwash.com/

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Thanks guys,

A couple posts above this one, you'll see that I ended up trying some home remedies, the McNett Enzyme wash, and finally some pet odor remover (which actually worked). The McNette worked out pretty well, but it was the pet po0p/pee odor remover that worked best. I bet that hog-wash stuff would work great too!

My question still stands…anyone know if denatured ethanol is safe for wp/b membranes like eVent/goretex?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Konrad,

Try looking at this table.

http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/bpg/annual/v11/bp11-33.html#table1

I tried to copy and paste the entire table but it became a word jumble! ;-)

It seems like Goretex for one is OK with alcohols (i.e. resistant).

ALCOHOLS PTFE PVDF

Amyl Alcohol R R
    Benzyl Alcohol R R
    Butyl Alcohol R R
    Ethyl Alcohol R R
    Isobutyl Alcohol R R
    Methanol R R

Note:

Chemical Compatibility Guide

Key:

r=Resistant
    l=Limited Resistance (testing before use is recommended)
    n=Not Recommended
    .= Insufficient Data

It doesn't reference eVent only Goretex.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Party On,

Newton

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

:D

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

I do a ton of MMA / Muay Thai / Jiu Jitsu training which means basically means I'm dripping in sweat for hours at a time and eventually the smell stops coming out of your clothes when you wash them …. using Sports Wash (that's its name) or similar sports detergents has worked well for me … my understanding is that there are certain bacterias that simple detergent / washing don't kill …. or something along those lines … might work for you ….

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I ride bikes a lot and the helmet gets stinky from the sweat if left you just use it and just hang it up after each ride. I now rinse it off every time but also I got advised to air it out in direct sunlight as well. So that's wjat I do now. Get home quick rinse under the tap and let it sun dry. Hasn't smealt yet. Not sure but might be worth a try of the back pack????

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools