Topic

Lightweight multi-fuel stove that can also use canisters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight multi-fuel stove that can also use canisters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

I want to buy my roommate a stove for Christmas. She recently had her house broken into and they stole her TV, laptop, and purses :(

She travels a lot, so I like the idea of a multifuel stove if she needs it. I backpack myself, and I like having a lightweight, super compact canister stove. Obviously the stove itself needs to be very light as well.

I've been out of the loop for a while. Seems like the international stoves can't use canisters, and the canister stoves can't use multiple fuels. Am I wrong? Are there stoves that give you the option of going super lightweight canister mode in the US but can convert to multifuel for those international treks?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The new Whisperlite Universal is essentially a Internationale+ in that it also uses canisters.

Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

Nice! But it's not out yet? 2012 release date huh? Gonna miss Christmas for my roommate :(

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Yes, and rumor has it that the release of the Whisperlite Universal has had to be pushed back. Looks like it may be Spring not January, but that’s just a rumor.

Multifuel AND canister gas. The classic example is the Primus Omnifuel. I wouldn’t say it’s light, but it’s not inordinately heavy for a multi-fuel stove. Primus is coming out with a new Omnilite Ti stove. I don’t know when it will be available in the US. Probably not by Christmas.

There’s also the Brunton Vapor All Fuel. It’s gotten mixed reviews. Some people really like them.

I’d say the Omnifuel is your best bet if you want something by Christmas. REI has them for a pretty good price ($160). Not cheap, but an excellent stove. You will need a fuel bottle.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

P.S. Amazon sometimes offers the Omnifuel for less.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools