Topic

Grand Enchantment Trail – Spring 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Grand Enchantment Trail – Spring 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Will Tatman

@roboconcept

I'm thinking about attempting the GET next spring, likely starting in March from PHX.
    Is anyone else going to be out there? How are you approaching planning?
    Just sending out feelers…

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I'm not doing the entire trail but will be out doing some sections in Arizona's Pinalenos in a couple weeks (enroute to California once I finish some admin for work), then return via the Gila near Glenwood in late Feb/early Mar if my work schedule holds. I will probably post a couple post-trip reports.

Will Tatman

@roboconcept

'Bump'ing this because as I get deeper into planning, I stumble upon more questions.

Looking for Insights about:
    – Maildrops
    – Sleep systems
    – Water carrying

yo!

sarah sundstrom

@yappy

A couple good journals on trail journals

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I hiked west of Safford, AZ a couple weeks ago and looking at the route, you will be on a dirt road leading into Safford, from KlondYke*, AZ. Safford is a decent sized town with grocery stores, post offices, and the typical American fast food joints. Lots of ranches right outside the wilderness areas, so pay attention to your maps on the KlondYke road. Really sticky mud when it rains too. If you need to pitch a shelter before getting to Safford, just find a place off the road but just far enough away from any 4WD tracks (and again, away from ranches, some of which have signs allowing access but no camping – there's a ridgeline with a sunrise view that I like if you PM me). Seemed like more ranches plus mining concerns towards Clifton/Morenci AZ but didn't go that way (just passing through the other way actually).

More public lands approaching the AZ-NM border; Glenwood NM is a smaller town with a good BBQ place + a post office before you dig into the Gila Wilderness. Gila Hot Springs has a good general store. It didn't seem there was much in Magnadelena NM though.

(* the profanity filter picked up the ghost town of KlondYke, but a capital letter fixed it… jeez)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools