Topic

Are there thermo bottles to store tea, as soon as it is made (100ºC/212ºF)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Are there thermo bottles to store tea, as soon as it is made (100ºC/212ºF)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    João Ricardo

@newnewbie

I'm looking for a thermo bottle (~ 1 Litre/ 33 oz) to store tea, as soon as it is made (let's say its temperature will be around 100 Celsius/ 212 Fahrenheit).

Is there such a bottle? Would, let's say, a SIGG Thermo Bottle be able to do this?
    http://www.sigg.com/uk-shop/en/catalog/product/view/id/467/s/black-special-touch-1-0-l-8198-30/category/23/

I don't even need to maintain the beverage warm. I just need a portable recipient that withstands such temperatures (and doesn't leak/allow me to drink directly from it). The smaller/ lighter the better. It doesn't even need to be a thermo, as long as it withstands high temperatures.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Any of the aluminum or stainless single-wall bottles will hold up to the temperature, but they will be very hot of course. You would need gloves to handle one and it would burn your lips. There are all kinds of stainless thermos/double-wall bottles out there. Klean Kanteen makes a wide mouth version with either a sealed top or a drinking top. Hydroflask is a newer brand that I have seen advertised but haven't laid hands on yet. They do make a 40oz version: http://www.hydroflask.com/products/40-oz-wide-mouth-stainless-steel-water-bottle.html. The Sigg model noted is just a typical stainless thermos with a drinking cup top.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was going to hike up Mount Washington NH during snow season, so I had a 1-quart stainless steel Thermos bottle. I filled it with boiling hot tea at 5 a.m., and then I reached the summit at 1 p.m.

The windy weather was so bad that I desperately needed a hot drink. Unfortunately, the hot tea was too hot to drink. I had to pour it into the cup, then leave it on the ground for a minute before I could drink it. That ought to be hot enough.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

In winter on snowshoeing trips a Thermos brand silver bullet works just dandy. So do any of them out there, even ones from Starbucks.

Are they light? No. But they work and are under $20.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

If you want to enjoy your drink hot hours later, I'd highly recommend Stanley thermoses, or the similar products from REI. When using a good thermos, I found that it needed to be quite a few hours after filling before I could drink without worrying about the temperature. The Stanley products are amazingly bombproof, and quite easy to clean; the REI products I have experience with are just a good, and may be a bit cheaper.
    Jim

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

We duck hunters have found Nissan stainless vacume bottles to be the most durable.

For some reason dropping a stainless vacume bottle will often compromise its vacume and you're left with just a bottle and virtually no insulation.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I don't even need to maintain the beverage warm. I just need a portable recipient that withstands such temperatures (and doesn't leak/allow me to drink directly from it). The smaller/ lighter the better. It doesn't even need to be a thermo, as long as it withstands high temperatures."

I have been using this for decades for winter camping.

Not sure if the OR caddie is still available. 1 Qt Nalgenes are. The Tibetan Terrier is optional.

Caddie = 103 grams (3.63 oz)
    Nalgene = 109 grams (3.84 oz)

Total = 212 grams (7.47 oz)

Has wide mouth for easy filling and drinking. Very difficult to break or damage.

Nalgene in OR Parka

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Nick, for very cold weather trips, I use the exact same rig, except not with the dog included.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Bob,

Some of us "older" folks have gear like this that has lasted forever. That bottle doesn't even have a logo, just says "Nalgene" and all the BPA in it hasn't killed me yet :)

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

The OR bottle jackets have been significantly remodeled but are still available. Your Nalgene is HDPE, no BPA in it, and those bottles work great and last for years or decades. They don't work as well as the old Lexan ones with hot water since they become pliable and can't take as high a temperature.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I just bought 6 of these and they work great, they also have bigger sizes, but I like this one for it's size/weight for winter hiking, and you can't beat the price right now.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Matt,

I thought I was living on the edge. Are the clear hard plastic Nalgenes the ones everyone is concerned with?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Yes, Nick. The Lexan ones were the smokey grey that became really popular when they started coming in funky colors. They contained BPA. Their replacement can't take as much heat and seems more brittle to me although I haven't tested that. I use my 18 year old white ones whenever i want something more robust than a recycled PET bottle and still use my 15 year old Lexan one for warm stuff.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

But it looks a lot like he wants something that doesn't necessarily keep his tea hot at all. In this case any lightweight bottle with the recycling number 5 for PP (polypropylene) will work fine.

It melts at about 160-180 C, so 100 C boiling water is fine. These are a bit difficult to find, but they are around.
    Of course the other option is to use either a Platypus bladder or a Nalgene Canteen,if you're happy to go soft sided. They'll both take boiling water.

Rod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools