Topic

DIY metal bottle/pot w/straw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY metal bottle/pot w/straw

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

This is just an idea at the moment, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has been there and done that:

I would like to make an ultralight metal version of the camelbak better bottle:
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/Better-Bottle-75L.aspx

And here's why: I use a homemade pack with pockets on the shoulder straps that can carry water bottles. I'm intrigued by the idea of having a bottle that can double as container to heat water in for cooking. I also like the idea of having hands-free hydration. Here's a pic of my pack to give an idea:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.d.kirk/MST?fgl=true&pli=1&fgl=true#5613431120337475106

I'm thinking of using a screw-top aluminum energy drink or aluminum miller lite bottle for the body. I'd love to get my hands on one of those 7-11 aluminum straws (but there are no 7-11s close to where I live in NC), and are they even still on sale in the winter?
    http://we-rate-stuff.com/2010/07/7-11-metal-slurpee-straw.html

I've got old platypus bite valves that may fit the top of the straw. What about securing the straw to the cap? Probably best not to make it air tight to enhance the ability to draw water out of the bottle when drinking? Anyway, I thought I'd put it out there…

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Haven't done it, but it shouldn't be difficult to do. With a metal straw, you could just use a drill press and drill out the lid to the exact diameter of the straw to insure a nice snug fit. If air is needed, you could add an additional pin hole in the lid. If the straw doesn't happen to stick out from your bottle very far, you could always add a short length of tubing to it, for hands free drinking.

If the aluminum straw doesn't work out, you could always just find a piece of aluminum tubing that's a snug fit inside your hydration tube, and make your own straw…

Got tons of 7-11s here in California. If I can remember, I'll stop for a Slurpee and see if they still sell those metal straws. Slurpee's are so good, I drink them even in the winter… If they do, I'll send one your way.

I'm interested in your MYOG pack. Do you have any additional info on it? better pics? I was thinking of doing something similar. Attaching two 1L bottles to the shoulder straps. I'm also interested in making it as ventilated as possible, which yours seems to be?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Sorry, no straws… Maybe they do only sell them seasonally? Then again, they may have just been a limited time deal?

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

Hey Nick,

Thanks for checking the 7-11s for me. Upon further thought, I'll probably just use standard plastic tubing from an old hydration system and carry a back-up cap to replace the "tubed" cap when cooking with the bottle. Now if I can only find some of those empty Monster cans (I don't need the energy drink).

Regarding the pack pictured in that more recent picasa album, here are some more details of the design: I built it in 2009 using a very light/ very cheap (on sale $1/yard) mesh because it would dry quickly. I originally integrated two removable 1-liter platypus bladders into the waste belt. Hydration tubes connected to shoulder strap pockets. I made the pack upside down so the heaviest stuff (food) could always be on the bottom for the best ride while remaining accessible. With water/snacks up front, I rarely had to take off the pack or dig very deep.

The pack worked well that way on a 2009 BMT fastpack. I redesigned the way I carried water in 2011 for the MST fastpack mainly based on the differences in trail logistics. The original straps (pictured in this blogpost: http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2009/03/redial.html) can accommodate smart water bottles and other 20+oz. bottles and hopefully 32oz. aluminum cans. The dark gray material is a 3D mesh material cheaply acquired from my local fabric store. I'm a huge fan of mesh packs BTW. Additional pics of the pack are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38303739@N03/

Hope this helps and thanks again for keeping me in mind with the aluminum straws.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Thanks for the info. Got any specs on the mesh you used? Like what kind of mesh, where it can be purchased? Weight?
    Sorry for the 21 questions…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools