Topic

Dont buy this jacket …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dont buy this jacket …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The last time i visited my US (NY state) relatives, my uncle asked me if i liked cheese. Of course i like cheese, i live in Europe. But do you like really smelly cheese, he asked. I can eat any cheese, i replied.
    I must admit that my courage failed me when he took me to his local cheesemonger.
    Limberger (sp?) is the nastiest stuff i've ever smelled. You win on the stink. :)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hopefully i've taken this thread so far off topic, that nobody knows what it was about. ;)

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

omfgroflbbq!* This thread has like totally gotten so gnarly and like way less awesomer that it started off as! You guys are loosing it!

…and it's def Chaff, brohans. The grammar talk and personal swipes have nothing to do with anything in the posted topic which, in itself, was Chaff anyway, right? Like, for sure, you know?

*this is an acronym, grandpa. Work it out.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I bet if we all sat down for a pint, we'd get along just fine."

Not me. I'm a nasty bugger when I'm drunk.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Hmmmm. Think I'm lost. Thought this was the "Lightweight Backpacking General Discussion" thread.

Muat have wandered into the "Chaff" thread by mistake.

Or maybe its the "#OccupyBPL" thread.

David Ure

@familyguy

"*this is an acronym, grandpa. Work it out."

Hilarious.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ahhhhh, the smell of vitriol on a breezy afternoon. Nothing like it.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Reading the thread, I can see that my post has caused a lot of grief, and for that I apologize. I never meant to make light of autism, and would never do so in real life. I am sorry.

I have found that many of the more aberrant forum posters on the internet do suffer from asperger's, and I think it is naive not to take this into account when dealing with unusual posters because while some people do post a certain way for kicks, others really can't help it. It's sad, and I don't mean that in a disparaging way. You can't see the person on the other end of a forum post, though, so instead of saying "stop acting like a jerk please," you have to consider the possibility that they can't help how they act.

I crossed the line when I assumed that Eric was not autistic and thereby grouped all autistic people with him in a negative way. I shouldn't have done that, and I apologize. I would never use these words as epithets.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"I bet if we all sat down for a pint, we'd get along just fine."

From Douglas

yeah right, we all think that alcohol does not change us but it does.
    Franco
    yes, sorry , I did not mean to imply that you are nice when drunk.
    Anyway, Douglas, nice jacket, I hope that you purchased that pumpkin colour.
    Last winter I realised that most of my clothing is black; makes me look like an Italian mama without the moustache.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"From Douglas

yeah right, we all think that alcohol does not change us but it does.
    Franco"

Hey, wait just a second! Did you just say I'm always a nasty bugger, so I might actually be nice when I'm drunk? ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Okay, back to the original post, I did not buy THAT jacket, but I did buy this one! And Tom was kind enough to make the hood integrated instead of snap on!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

You bought the jacket?!?!

Oh Doug you fell for the rich evil corporations ploy to get your money. Why would you do that when so many cottage gear manufactures are in such need? Did you know that for only the cost of one cuben fiber tarp you can support a cottage gear manufacture for a year?

:P

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

No he bought a Nunatak… cottage manufacturer.

The problem with this jacket is that it is for COLD weather, and why would he want to hike in weather like that?

:)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I thought he bought THAT jacket, not THE jacket. ;)

Pfft, cold weather. Hike year round and wreck your gear or you 'aint backpackin' I tell ya!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Pfft, cold weather. Hike year round and wreck your gear or you 'aint backpackin' I tell ya!"

Oh I do hike year round, but don't subject myself to extreme conditions if avoidable :)

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"Wow – looks like a bit of bullying going on.

I could care less how Eric posts. What I care more about is the content of the posts. Eric does just fine in this area.

He also probably gets out to the mountains more often that many of you combined."

+1

Also, a lot of people seem to have misread Eric's OP – it was Patagonia saying "don't buy this jacket" – in an ad they obviously emailed to people – not Eric – and he just added a bit about not buying other stuff too.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"I have found that many of the more aberrant forum posters on the internet do suffer from asperger's,"

I'm curious – exactly how did you establish that?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Nick Gatel

"Oh I do hike year round, but don't subject myself to extreme conditions if avoidable :)"

It's not cold until it get's below -20* now get out there and hike! ;)

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools