Topic

Dont buy this jacket …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dont buy this jacket …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

any gear, not just patagucci …

http://www.thecleanestline.com/2011/11/dont-buy-this-jacket-black-friday-and-the-new-york-times.html

It would be hypocritical for us to work for environmental change without encouraging customers to think before they buy. To reduce environmental damage, we all have to reduce consumption as well as make products in more environmentally sensitive, less harmful ways. It’s not hypocrisy for us to address the need to reduce consumption. On the other hand, it’s folly to assume that a healthy economy can be based on buying and selling more and more things people don’t need – and it’s time for people who believe that’s folly to say so.

Dave T

@davet

Eric,

Any chance in any one of the possible futures that you could actually just call those two companies by their actual names: "Patagonia" and "Arc'teryx"?

Thanks.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

sorry dave,

its a free country … if its so concerning im sure you can convince BPL to censor those words

thanks

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Eric, Did you have a bad run-in with Patagonia in the past? I'm just curious because everytime I see something negative regarding Patagonia, I see you in the middle of it. I may of missed some past transgression of them towards you. If so, what was it? I think they make quality stuff, if you are willing to pay more. I don't want to get in the over-priced/over-hyped thread again, just wanted to know what they did to make it a one man crusade against them?

Steven Killion
    BPL Member

@blendedfrog

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eric,

Any chance, in the future you could actually use capitalization and punctuation? Your posts are difficult to read. Thanks

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

sorry steven

if it proper grammar concerns you that much … i suggest you ask BPL to ban everyone who doesnt have perfect gramma

thanks

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

<del></del>

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

its a consumer society .. even on BPL robert …

what people choose to buy is up to them … but then no one should imply that you need to have certain brands to go out and have fun

im sure people will go off on me for that … but then this is BPL where people are elitist on those who buy at REI or walmart not too long ago … or anyone who uses fleece … or people taking a few condiments from mcds

note that this thread aint against patagucci … its simply what they WANT you to do … NOT buy this jacket … or any other gear you dont need on this black friday

their words … not mine … i wholeheartedly agree with them '

however i doubt too many will listen … must have that new shiny marginally lighter gear ;)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I imagine there are some Occupy protesters that might like this ad, or rather, there's an advertising guy that thinks Occupy protesters would like this ad.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Eric, It's not that I don't agree with you that people are free to purchase what they want, but your words don't match up with what you responses have to say on that. When you toss words around like 'elitists' for wanting to purchase Patagonia it makes me think that your problem stems more from some personal affront or presumed personal affront by someone or Patagonia. The anti-Patagonia rant makes no sense to me otherwise…just saying. It seems to me you are very passionate in your position, but you still haven't given a logical reason for it. Other than that, just don't buy the stuff, it is as you say, a personal choice.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'm calling reverse psychology! ;)

Caleb Boyle

@calebb

ditto Andy.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am inclined to agree, and I hate companies that advertise their "good deeds." Perhaps Patagonia is different, perhaps they are trying to get the public and other companies to follow suit. Who knows. But they have done a lot of really good things.

I do not care for the "pata-gucci" bashing though. Every piece of gear I have bought from them fits well, has quality construction, and does exactly what it is advertised to do. Whenever I purchase a cheaper "equivalent," it fails to meet one of the above criteria. And I have been buying stuff from them since the time it was Chouinard Equipment, to include gear and clothing. I think they spun off the Patagonia brand in the early 70's.

I realize a lot of their clothing is urban wear, not back country clothing. Nothing wrong with that either.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I am inclined to agree, and I hate companies that advertise their "good deeds." Perhaps Patagonia is different, perhaps they are trying to get the public and other companies to follow suit. Who knows. But they have done a lot of really good things.

I do not care for the "pata-gucci" bashing though. Every piece of gear I have bought from them fits well, has quality construction, and does exactly what it is advertised to do. Whenever I purchase a cheaper "equivalent," it fails to meet one of the above criteria. And I have been buying stuff from them since the time it was Chouinard Equipment, to include gear and clothing. I think they spun off the Patagonia brand in the early 70's.

I realize a lot of their clothing is urban wear, not back country clothing. Nothing wrong with that either."

+1

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

It worked so well that i didnt buy anything today … Despite sample sales and 40% off eb sales

Ill take patagucci at their word that they dont want you to buy their stuff if you dint need it (not want it)… They did after all take out a full page add in the nyt

I heartily applaud em for it

Now how many here followed their advice ;)

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

I spent the last fifteen years living in a very wealthy town. I lived near the schools and every morning during the cold season here in New England, I would see kids walking to school in their TNF and Pata gear, especially Denali fleece "jackets". Their lips were blue, their eyes watering, and their shoulder hunched over. Knowing some of them, I asked what was going on, why were they wearing a jacket that didn't keep them warm, and the reply was nearly universal. Mom/Dad gave them $200 to buy a winter jacket. The Denali(or what have you) is "so cool" that "I had to have it" and unspoken: 'cause all the most popular kids have it. Meanwhile, the Denali(or whatever) is not really a winter jacket and the kids are freezing. But at least they've go the logo to keep them warm!

Personally when I pay good money for a product, I want a good product, not logos all over the place. Though I have Patagucci and TNF stuff, I actually try to avoid these manufacturers because their logos have become so much more important to so many people than their function or value. Why when I pay good money do I have to be an advertizing billboard? It makes me angry. When I can, I use a permanent black magicmarker to blot out the logos. For example, I have wonderful Pata Drifter shoes. They have logos on the toe, the tongue, the side and the rear. I have carefully blacked out all of the logos. Sometimes I remove the front labels or sew a patch from my favorite mountain club over them. Then again, I'm a stubborn eccentric bast#ard–otherwise why else would I be here on BPL?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I bought a ton of crap yesterday, so I more than made up for everyone, no worries.

Heck, my Honda Fit looked like a a low rider with all the stuff I bought weighing it down.

I would of taken a picture of it, but the sale @ BestBuy for cameras isn't until this afternoon. :(

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

This whole "black friday" thing has gets me depressed. It's so undignified. I have a friend who bids his holidays specifically for this weekend. I think he may be a hoarder..haha…but I digress. I shouldn't be the tea kettle.

Gotta say though, after seeing "180* South" I have a lot more respect for TNF and Patagonia. I think it's a good campaign, and I'd give Patagonia the benefit of the doubt. Good for them. Cynicism will just turn your soul black.

.. but then it does seems the "system" is structured for you to consume.

Recently I damaged a tiny tiny plastic gear piece on my fishing reel. To replace it is going to cost me $10. When the reel with the rod is $50 retail. It's not the money, but just seems so wasteful. I'm actually thinking it makes more sense just to buy a new rod and reel, and have it shipped halfway across the country. This is me being the tea kettle.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

dollar votes, cast 'em as you wish.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I was recently in the Patgonia shop in Toronto and the shop assitiant informed me that Patagonia will replace any thrashed clothing no matter how old, I cannot remember if she mentioned a receipt was needed.

Cheers,

Stephen

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I couldn't resist and ended up buying the jacket :(

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I just bought a down shirt. It was $100 off since it was last years color. I've never had one before so to me it is a "new" color. I don't understand the posts about coloring in logos. If you don't like their company name, why do you buy their products? Do you put bumper stickers over the logos on your car? Beer? Taco Bell sack? Really weird. "let's go to Burger King. Ok, but tell them I want my food in a plain brown sack!"

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

And I wore my 8 year old Patagonia Jacket. Besides, we really have little to purchase here in Juneau, but a lot to see.

Snowshoe Swing

Camping Cove

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

HELL YEA!

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"Eric,

Any chance in any one of the possible futures that you could actually just call those two companies by their actual names: "Patagonia" and "Arc'teryx"?

Thanks."

good post.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools