Topic

Breathable Hammock Underquilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Breathable Hammock Underquilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

I'm curious as to opinions concerning fabrics, specifically types such as Epic, Pertex, or other breathable fabrics for an underquilt?

I envision a Primaloft insulation layer between one of this type of fabric, and possibly one of 1.3oz/yd 'Heat & Solar Reflective' ripstop silnylon (as either the outer or face fabric).

Will the 'Heat & Solar Reflective' fabric be more efficient as a face fabric facing the underside of the hammock? Or would it perform better being on the outside of the quilt? Is it worth the 'extra' weight of this fabric for the purported 'thermal benefit'? Does anyone know the 'hand' or stretch, durability, waterproofness,etc of this fabric? It's pricey to me @$17/yd.

I read the thread,'UL Cold weather Hammock Pad' on 12/19/06; and absorbed as much information as I could from there without confusing myself.

Thanks Gene

David Wills

@willspower3

I made a tarp and a few reflective VB liners from it. It's just like silnylon, but is reflective and you can't see through it. I would just make a VB bag from 2 yds. of it and use it in your hammock when you see fit. If it was on the outside of an underquilt, the insulation would get wet with persiration. You quilt would also be useless for warmer weather where VB's do more harm than good.

As far as underquilts go, 1.1 DWR nylon should be great. None of the quilt touches you, so it doesn't need to feel good. having a good DWR on the outside would be helpful, but if cost is an issue, momentum 90 or epic (1.7 oz/ yd) would be very expensive. I would recommend a reputable spray on DWR for the outside of a 1.1-primaloft-1.1 underquilt, and a seperate reflective VB bag from the 1.3.

What shape are you planning to make this quilt?

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Thanks for your reply David, I was considering just a basic half egg shape for under the hammock, wrapping halfway up the sides of my Clark hammock so as not to lose the access to the pockets.

I understand better what this fabric actually does, not having any in hand, from your description. I'm not a VB fan, so I'll pass. Tried it in the '70's, and did'nt like feeling damp all the time. I suspect it was being used at the wrong temps, or wrong times, or?' which added to the futility of using it; and hence it's lack of popularity.

I tend to prefer TecTron DWR spray for my gear as it's worked for years on all manner of gear items.

Yes, the pricer fabrics are out of my gear pocketbook at this time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools