Topic

Seam Stick on Silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seam Stick on Silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

I know many are using this Seam Stick or the similar 3M seam tape to make Cuben tarps with no sewing. Would this work for Silnylon as well? Specifically for a seamed ridgeline?

I ordered a roll of this seam stick tape http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/tip2 and figured I would try it on some scraps to test the strength.

I would love to make a silnylon tarp with no sewing, or only minimal hand sewing since I have no sewing machine or experience with sewing machines.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I have tried this with silicone glue and It has worked for one-half season of backpacking. The only sewing was on the guy-out loops. I'll let you know how the tarp fairs under a snow load this winter.

link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51361&skip_to_post=436819#436819

Enjoy,

Dave

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Now you're going to have to buy some Cuben fabric to go along with the seam stick (that is useless for silnylon)

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Awesome link / thread Dave, I didn't find it before where did a search. What brand of silicone glue did you buy if you can recall and where did you find it?

I suppose I will still find a use for the seam stick in other projects. I was under the impression it WOULD stick to silnylon.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Thanks Anthony,

you must use glue, not caulk or sealer. It is called GE Silicone II clear premium Glue. upc #0-77027-00280-5. I got it at True Value Hardware $5.99 for 2.8 fl oz. (true value order # 510-404) If you look it up on ge's website it is item # 280

good luck if you decide to go this way. I have a lot of nay-sayers to disprove – I suppose that this winter will be the true test.

Feel free to ask me any questions

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools