Topic

Inverted Canister Stove Winter Fuel Consumption

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Inverted Canister Stove Winter Fuel Consumption

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I didn't bother re-sealing it. Highly unlikely it would ever loosen but always check your gear. Since it's running in inverted mode now, it should be dealing with liquid rather than gas at that point so it's less likely to leak.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Michael, so no worries with rotating the two brass pieces against each other? I'm guessing its just a crimped hose on a male fitting.

It's passed the soap test several times, but no real cold-weather use yet since I just got it today.

Hmmm, these are questions I should have asked BEFORE doing the mod! :) Ah, live and learn.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Travis,

You're probably fine. A lot of people have done that mod. I'm just lazy/didn't think it was worth doing. :)

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Travis wrote: > Is the heat reflector worth its weight with the Windpro? There's no canister underneath to protect from getting hot, so is it practical to use all the time?

The heat reflector is to make things more efficient by reflecting heat back towards the pot; it's not to shield the canister.

If you're in snow, you'll need to put a square of closed cell foam (or something) down first to prevent the snow from melting and your stove from sinking. The little heat reflector will help protect the CCF.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I just use the heat reflector by itself right on the snow with my Simmerlite. Works fine.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Part of the reason I asked about the heat reflector is because I rarely see one being used in pictures. Sounds like it's good to use though.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

> Part of the reason I asked about the heat reflector is because I rarely see one being used in pictures. Sounds like it's good to use though.

Yeah, I generally consider it the least essential thing to take with an MSR stove. For winter use, especially if it protects something like a CCF stove "base", then maybe it's worth it.

The upright windscreen I always take if I'm taking an MSR stove, year round.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Thought I would check back in after a second outing using a Whisperlite International and Coleman White Gas. My food was identical to the first one (soup for lunch, dehydrated dinner, hot chocolate, oatmeal, coffee) temps were roughly the same, may have melted more snow this time.

I used 2.75 ounces of white gas, and really do not see the priming and pump assembly as a big deal. The heat output was consistent and being able to take the appropriate amount of fuel for the trip and not have a bunch of empty canisters has sold on white gas for winter. The Windpro will go back to REI.

I am sure I can get more efficient with priming, snow melting, etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools