Topic

DIY Hammock Dimension Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping DIY Hammock Dimension Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

I finally got in my materials from DIYGS and will shortly start making my own hammock (pretty stoked!).

Quick, last minute question, before I start sewing sometime this week. I'm 6' tall, so between 72" and 73", and 180 lbs. What is the minimum length I can make my hammock? I was thinking of making it 84"x36" (7ft x 3ft) which I know from looking at all kinds of DIY instructions that this is very small.

I personally don't need all the width of a normal hammock (I don't toss and turn, the "bathtub hammock" shape just seems like unnecessary material/weight to me)

But length wise, I want to still be comfortable with the least amount of fabric.

If I make it my way, I'm looking at a hammock that will probably be less than 5oz (obviously without suspension) but a light hammock I can't fit in does me no good.

Thoughts?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You need the width to be able to lay at an angle so to be able to lie flat in there. You doing a gathered end type?

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Yeah,

Now I'm not sure how diagonally I actually lay, I just know there's a lot of extra fabric off to the sides of my feet and my head that I could probably rid myself of maybe I could use a bit more on the sides…

But yes since it's a gathered in hammock I want to make sure I also have enough room length wise not to constrict my head and feet, but since I'm laying at a diagonal anyway, do I really need the 120"+ most DIY patterns instruct? I feel like it really doesn't need to be much longer than my body for me to fit in it.

EDIT: that first sentence wasn't clear. I'm conceding to the idea that I could probably use a bit more on the sides than what initially planned

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It's easy to make it shorter.
    I'm 6'3" I would start with the 120" length and go from there.

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Having not made my own, I should probably stick to the basics first and go from there. Thank you for clear-steering me. I would have hated ending up with a hammock too short to use but I literally never considered "start big and go smaller". Lol.

*kicks self*

Thanks for the help/insight/rational thought, bud.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I know huh? It's the little things.
    Happy hanging!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools