Topic

New England-area GTG #2: Winter Wonderland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New England-area GTG #2: Winter Wonderland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"0 degree bag"

It's no longer a bag, it's a quilt. No hood, zipper removed. See pics here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43297

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Awesome. This is getting better by the day.

Tommy D, if we don't end up doing Southern VT for the group gathering, I'm still hoping to do at least one or two more weekend trips in the Glastenbury and Stratton area this winter, time depending. Who knows… maybe northern Vermont, too.

Avalance shovels could come in handy, by the way. Not necessarily for avalanches, but for shelter building. Always a highlight of winter camping. I've got one somewhere around here…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Not necessarily for avalanches, but for shelter building."

I'd LOVE to learn how to make snow shelters! The trip would be worth it just for that! Are you teaching Ryan?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

On a trip to the ADK's in February a kid built a Quinzee out on the ice. It certainly worked….but holy hell it was a lot of work. Glad it was this kid and not me haha.

I usually rock a tarp (in this case my two person Ray-Way) and build up walls of snow on three sides. Then on the side with the entry I build a little wind break out of snow. This of course is car camping w/ a nice shovel. :p

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/306412_128158997292759_100002959778490_134780_921017584_n.jpg

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Haha. It's been a while since I've built a real shelter entirely out of snow, but depending on where we go it might be possible. I do like Bryce says– use the shovel to add to the comfort of whatever tent or tarp you set up. I tend to go with a tarp, but dig trenches and a pit to make a nice, large area to sleep in and cook in. With four-season tents, it's nice to dig out a pit in the vestibule so you can have an even better place to put your gear. In general, the shovel can be used to scrape out a perfectly flat sleeping platform after stomping the snow down to a solid pack.

But if we have time, I'd be all for making a quinzee or digloo or whatever you call them. They're great for sleeping in. And extremely warm.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

I was thinking a bit too much about this today at work, and I think I've come up with enough locations that we'll have to do three or four trips over the course of the winter to even scratch the surface. Some of my ideas…

1. Stratton Mountain and Pond, VT– great base camp area near Stratton Pond, with challenging hike to Stratton Mountain for the dayhike. Maybe not too secluded, though.

2. Glastenbury Mountain, VT– Not sure about the approach, but the summit is pretty cool, and there's a fire tower that we could camp right next to.

3. Pemi Wilderness, NH– So many options in here. One really nice one is near Norcross Pond on the east side of the wilderness. Or the west side, we could hike in from Lincoln Woods and do a dayhike up one of several mountains.

4. Griffith Lake and Baker Peak, VT– another possible base camp further from the road, with an easy-ish hike up to a good view.

5. Wild River Wilderness, NH– Lots of good places to camp at low elevation, and then either hike up to Carter Dome, Moriah, Baldface, or other cool mountains.

I've totally left out the Berkshires, which would be a fine location as well.

I'm partial to trying bushwhacks, too, since winter is the time for that in New England (as far as I'm concerned… less undergrowth). And we can come up with trips ranging from one night to five or six if we feel real crazy (or unemployed).

Any thoughts?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

All the suggestions are intriguing, but I admit I have not researched them much. Three things I'd like if possible in our location are:

– Is there a hut (not a shelter) for us to stay in? There was some interest in this, but also "bring your own shelter" was as popular or more so perhaps a nice-to-have.

– How far is basecamp from the trail head? I know a lot of us are new to winter backpacking, so having the ability to bring in extra layers, etc. to base camp may be important as a lot of us aren't quite sure what we'll need to bring to keep warm/comfy.

– Are any of these locations significantly colder than another? I figure the Berkshires will be the warmest, but wondering since the colder we go, the more gear we'll prob need (to purchase). This isn't a deal breaker, but just curious.

Thanks!

Bryce <- trying to find people who ~actually~ use VBLs on regular basis, and in what temps are they useful.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Oh yeah… forgot about that. But it's a good point.

Out of the list above, Stratton is really good in many ways, which is why I've been pushing that as a location for a while (not just because it's closer to me than most other places!). The shelter isn't fully enclosed, but it's so big that it might as well be. You can easily fit 20 people in that thing with room to spare, and it's more enclosed than most AT shelters. Most of the enclosed lodges on the Long Trail are much further north, or not really great destinations.

As for distance from trailhead, it's 4 flat miles. Not bad at all. There's also a loop… we could make camp near the trailhead, hike over the mountain on day two, and camp at the shelter area after.

Let's see… The White Mountains have the huts, but those are pricey even with the self-service in winter. The RMC cabins on Mt Adams are possible also, but I don't know if there's any place to tent near them– it would be cabins or nothing I think.

We could definitely do Alander again, with that little cabin up there. That about exhausts my brain for now.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Bryce,

Thanks for the invite, I would have completely missed this opportunity!!!! I am in for sure, I keep my schedule in the winter nice and open for just this very reason. The only time I have booked right now is Jan 27th-Feb 3rd, I will be in the ADK's enjoying hopefully extremely cold deep snow.

I read through everything so far, here are my thoughts. The locations that Ryan posted are great, I have a little bit of hear say knowledge about a few of them. I think the best one is Glastenbury Mountain, I have heard that this is a relatively mellow but long hike. So making it to the summit might not be able to happen. The experience will be great regardless. I also think it has a crazy ghost story about it if it is the one I am thinking of. If it is I will prepare my best theatrics for the trip! I would say anything with a pond in it is a bad idea for a intro to winter trip. NH is to unreliable with weather, could be above zero, could be -20 and nasty. A second option right across the way from Glastenbury is Haystack Mountain. A little less remote, better water opportunities (no melting drinking water is a plus).

As far as gear goes. My shelter of choice is a Shangu La and a bivy, but in all reality a three season tent with the least amount of mesh is very acceptable. The only thing extra you have to do with a 3 season vs 4 season on the east coast is brush snow off a little more frequently IF it snows. The most important thing about tents in the winter is great ventilation, and as many bodies covered in goose down as possible to make a nice cozy sleeping arrangement. Stoves should all be white gas for simplicity in large groups and a max of 6 people to 3 stoves (one is a back up) and 2 x 2L minimum pots. If 8 people go then 3 cooking stoves and a 4th backup will work. It looks like with Glastenbury there isn't a water feature so melting snow most likely will have to take place which will mean alot more fuel. We can discuss that as planning progresses. Ice axe and crampons won't be necessary in Souther VT or Western Mass. A few shovels will be, a comfortable camp kitchen is the most important part of winter camping.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Guys (and gals), I just caught wind of this thread. I'd love to go and I could probably arrange any of those time slots. Keep me posted. If you have an email conversation going, please include me – [email protected]. Thanks! Also, not sure if anyone was considering the Adirondacks as a possible destination but my best friend's aunt owns Raquette River outfitters and has been hiking/skiing the area for years and years – she can definitely clue us in to some areas that are off the beaten path. Just a thought. Either way, I'd love to do a trip with some fellow BPLers!

My winter kit is a bit patchy- I use two 30-degree bags layered- This has gotten me comfortably to 10f, and I'm confident I could take it even lower. I'm not sure if I can get my weight down to the range of my Ohm, though. My backup pack is a Gregory z55, older model that weighs 53 oz, so not the worst option. Shelter is a bit heavy – BA Copper Spur 1. Though without the inner tent it's not so bad at around 35 oz including heatsheetz ground cover. Don't own snowshoes, but could borrow some from a friend.

Well, please keep me updated. I have a severe lack of outdoor-minded friends, so it would be cool to meet some of you. Cheers!

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Don't know how feasible of a trip it would be for some of you, but I've read a bit about PA's Laurel Highlands Trail. The 72-mile point to point crosses a few roads along the way, so shuttling should be fairly convenient. What really makes this trail cool is that there are spots every 6-12 miles with a few lean-to structures that have fireplaces with chimneys! And get this – PA DCNR stocks them with dry firewood! See more here-

http://www.shol.com/featheredprop/lhht_info_right.htm#Shelter%20Information

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

The dates are a dead heat…. wish there were a tiebreaker or two. :p

I've been researching gear. I'm going to try and rock a Vargo Ti Wood Stove and pick up a "real" knife to air in fire making (currently use a glorified razor blade for 3 season). I have snow shoes, and am going to layer summer quilt and summer bag for this outing. I am currently research overboots…

Anyone else researching?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

I'm researching until my eyes bleed :)

Just in response to Jeremy's post about which areas are most suitable: Glastenbury would be a good hike, and I'd forgotten that there's one lean-to only two or three miles from the road, then it's 8 miles from that lean-to to Glastenbury. There's bound to be a lot of snow and it'll be a tough hike, and we'd have to figure out the timing of the weekend. Friday night, into the first shelter (might be very challenging due to darkness and tricky trail finding), saturday night to Glastenbury, sunday out? That would be a big day on sunday, the trail will be broken out already.

As for Stratton, the shelter is .2 miles away from the pond, so wind off the pond wouldn't cause much of a problem. It would be a nearly 4 mile trek into the shelter on the friday night, though, which could be tough depending on when everyone gets there.

Bryce, I've got a pair of 40 Below Light Energy Overboots… they're pretty rockin. Definitely worth looking into. As for other things, I'm going to need to work some gear ideas out before next month, I guess.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I am not doing any specific research, but I think mother nature can help decide when we should go. The later the better, this warm weather the mountains are having right now is making me very mad. I can start looking at trails if we can narrow it down to two or three choices.

I like:

Glastenbury Mountain, VT

Haystack Mountain, VT

Any other thoughts…

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I won't be able to make it, but it sounds like fun! Thanks to Bryce for letting me know about this. Hopefully I'll be able to do next years. Another location would be around Mt. Mansfield, there are a few Long Trail shelters (One is a sweet cabin, and other fully enclosed I think), a nice summit, and a bunch of trails. With the weather we've been having you might need to go a bit further north to get to the good snow.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

It finally started snowing for real. It is supposed to be cold for the next week at least, hopefully until March. Can we pick a date and place?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Based off the poll, here are the two most popular dates:

1/13 – 1/15
    1/2 – 1/22

(tied)

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Oh baby! It's on!

I don't know anything about Haystack, but I know there are decent lean-tos on the Glastenbury route. Jeremy, you seem to know more about Haystack, so your input would be good. I think Glastenbury would be a great place for the trip, but mostly I just want to get out in the woods– I could go with either.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I don't know much about either I will do some homework on both and report back in a few days.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Oh. Well that works, too :) I've been to Glastenbury a few times, most recently only a couple months ago. If it helps, I have a gps track I took of the hike, so we could cheat a little bit. It's also very easy to find the trailhead. I live only an hour and a half from both areas, so if I get to the trail before some other folks, I can break out the path to the first lean-to, so anyone who gets to the trailhead after dark would have a path to follow.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

The south trail head is about 5 miles east of Bennington on rt. 9 on the North side of the highway.

From a topo map and trip reports it is a long mellow hike. apx 10 miles one way to the summit. It also crosses little pond mountain summit (3331') about 6.5 miles one way. The trail to the summit is the long trail/AT so it should be easy to find out way, however I do think this will be a winter hike that will require lots of trail braking because of its remote location.

Start elevation is around 1400', a quick steep climb to 2000' and then a easy mile to the shelter at around 2400'
    little pond mountains summit is 3331', the trial drops to a col at about 2900' and then a climb back up to 3748' for Glastenbury mountain summit.

I think this will be a LONG easy hike which will make it a bit harder in the low light of winter. Headlamps will be used to hike on this mountain.

It also looks like there might not be any views from the summit because they closed the fire tower down a few years ago.

OH and this is the one with the ghost stories!!!!
    http://voices.yahoo.com/the-mystery-people-vanishing-glastenbury-mountain-12403.html

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Pretty spot on–

Aside from a few hundred yards across the river from the trailhead, it's a very mellow, easy hike. Trail-finding may be difficult just because it's a lot of open hardwood, which means white blazes may be a little hard to find.

Little Pond Mountain has no view, but there are a few ledges along the way that provide views.

Melville-Nauheim Shelter is approx 2 miles from the trailhead.

Goddard Shelter is 0.2 miles from Glastenbury summit. The firetower was renovated in 2005, and has wonderful views.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

The only trail that gets to the summit is in a community. You park about 2.5 miles from the summit. Not really what we are looking for.

I looked at Stratton and I think it is a better second option, the only issue I see is that you can only camp at the designated tent sites around Stratton pond. I am ok with that but realize that it will most likely be a cold night sleep both nights.

Other than that it looks like it starts out at about 2200' up and down for about 3- 3.5 miles to 2600' to camp at stratton pond

Take a different trail the at/long trail straight up to the summit at 3940' over about 3.5 miles.

Then back to down to statton pond for another night and then back out the way we came.

This trail should be decently broken, it is very popular.

Thoughts?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

unless someone else has another idea.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I remember climbing Glastonbury Mtn this past summer and think it sounds awesome to try for this winter. I'm game !! Just waiting to hear what the final date selection is going to be so I can try to get off work for that weekend.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 298 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools