Topic

New England-area GTG #2: Winter Wonderland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New England-area GTG #2: Winter Wonderland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 276 through 298 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Just putting this out there for everyone…

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

Notice the battery performance of the Alkaline battery vs. the Lithium in the cold. Don't want to be hiking by headlamp on one of these long night with no juice! :o

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

"Bring your ghost stories and be prepared to hear me scream like a girl."

No pants-peeing in winter. Makes things really cold!

I've got a 4-qt and 2-qt pot that I'll bring, and my stove will be boiling lots of water morning and night.

Just finished packing most of my gear, and now I'm getting my food all squared away. This is going to be a trial by fire for sure (or by ice). I wish I'd had time to get really chilly on a few dayhikes this season, but if this is how I have to get into this season, it'll be perfect.

Seth, I'm lending my Lightning Ascents to you, right? I will meet you in the parking lot, then.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

That's a yes sir on the Lightning ascents Ryan ! Thanks and I'd anticipate us arriving with Bryce at the Trail head somewhere around 1:30pm (assuming 2 1/2 hrs to get there….who knows if the weather is bad).

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Seth I have two synthetic sleeping bags you can borrow to layer under one is a 35* (2.6lbs i think) the other 45* (1lb 10oz)

I am layering two down bags 25* bag with a 30*

also I have a 7lb -15* synth bag you could hump in that would keep you real toasty, you could even open it up and both sleep under it and do the brotherly cuddle

You are more then welcome to them. I can throw them in my car just in case.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

1 x Marmut Helium 16F 850 fill power bag. 910g
    1 x Marmut Atom 40F 850 fill power bag. 610g

You'll have to supply your own stuff sacks though. Let me know if I should pack them in the car.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

First off – I'd need LONG 6'6" bags only. Sorry to say neither my twin nor I can fit into regular bags (I can't AND my twin can't – who'd a thought ?).

If any of them are long – I'd love a 15* Helium , but if not no worries.

My brother has got an OLD 0* EMS Blizzard I borrowed, and a 50* synthetic, and I'm using his 20* down and my 35* down so we'll just wing it. Should be fine. We've got TONS of layering to bulk up in the bag.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

Clint

Thanks man. That was a great link, thought provoking and funny. I have the privilege to be teaching Foundations and Theories of Adventure Therapy so luckily creativity and kinesthetics will be central themes. Have fun on the trip I look forward to meeting you all when I am a little less busy and my baby daughter a little older.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

….fitting a -25F WM sleeping bag into a stuff sack is like wrestling a small steer. Ugh.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Ryan, I'm also bringing a 4qt pot, in case you don't want to bring the 2qt?

I'm also going to bring my remote canister stove.

Sadly, with me and my two friends, we don't have any spare sleeping bags.
    I'm bringing my GoLite 20* down bag and 20* down quilt (the bag is apparently much warmer than that rating, combined weight, 55oz=3.43lb) so I should be ok. My friends have a 15* (mtn hardwear phantom)and a 20* down bag(REI) plus a 25* synth bag and another ~20* down bag or my old (heavy) 30* synth bag, we're still looking for one of them…

I'd suggest people bring extra gear in their car just in case?

Bryce, I have a small Granite Gear compression sack you can borrow, don't know if it will fit though…

Lets hope we can start a fire!

Anonymous

Heaviest…pack…eva! :p

Seriously, this is the heaviest pack I've ever carried, and this is only with 2l of water, sheesh.

If I weigh it, I think I'll cry. :”,bster13″

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Uh oh… I don't like the sound of that.

Since this will be a team effort, Bryce, I'll say already that I'm totally willing to edit the planned hike as we go, or to shift some weight around between packs ;)

See you all in a few hours!

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I know you guys might be on your way already but I am willing to carry a few extra pounds for ppl as well, just have to get my bigger pack. Winter base is only 16lbs so I can help make someone a bit more comfortable while you guys are trying out this whole winter camping thing.

Ryan, Im not so much worried about peeing my pants…its a good thing it just snowed plenty of tp.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

odd, I was thinking the opposite this morning when I carried my pack downstairs from my bedroom to the living room. Did you include the weight of your worn gear like snowshoes? you do sleep cold though, so I'm gunna guess you have a lot more "insulation" in your pack than I do.

that said, I did not have any food in it and only just over 1L of water. I guess all this "UL" gear's been worth it… It'd be even lower if the NeoAir my mom just bought me (the advantages of having a Jewish mother that lives across the country, she can't feed me so she buys me gear =P ) was to arrive today (it won't…).

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

….but I just can't. I'm beat.

Here are my photos:
    -18F and 20mi of snowshoeing hell

Maybe a trip report later.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Dang. Nice heel!

The trees are beautiful.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Nice battle scars! Although that's why I was afraid of both the length of this trip, and the VBL sock idea – I can see myself doing that with lots of friction and was worried about the 11 mile trek :)

On a more positive note, it looks beautiful! So I'm thinking of heading up to the adirondacks to do a day hike next sunday – hopefully up one of the shorter high peaks trails closer to the road or lodge. Haven't decided where yet. Anybody want to join? This will be my first winter high peak and would love to find some other people to go with… Anyone interested?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

D@*n, sorry I had to be lame and bail. How did everyone do (including the 4 legged lupus) Saturday night?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I did't wear VBLs, just didn't want to stop in the cold when I felt and hot spot and well….

Everyone did great. I'll let everyone chime in, perhaps someone will post a trip report. Many thanks for the fuel, we needed it…next time!

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Bryce: don't mind if I do ;-)

edit: Posted in the trip report section, here

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Sounds awesome. I'm definitely in for the next one! Anyone interested in scheduling an ADK high peaks adventure this winter? I'm trying to do a few day hikes and one two nighter in the high peaks, and am always looking for company.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Great write up of what sounds like a real adventure. Your temps make my snow trips look like a springtime stroll. What breed is Lupus?
    Thanks again.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Hi Kat, thanks for the compliment!

Lupus is half Husky half Black Lab, he's almost 5 years old now, and loves to hike. Though I'd love to know what he thought of this hike, probably the same as the rest of us, crazy, fun, painful.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

For those "watching" this thread, I've started a thread for GTG3!

Viewing 23 posts - 276 through 298 (of 298 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools