Topic

Havasu Falls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey everyone
    Ran across some info about a trip to a place called Havasu falls in Grand Canyon National Park. I found some info about doing pack mule trips into, but not much about hiking to them Just wondering if anyone here has heard about it, and could provide some info?

THanks!
    Dan

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I haven't done it, but have friends that have and said it was a great hike. You can definitely hike it. I think they said you have to dodge the mule caravans at times.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Is it accessible all year round? Or are some seasons better than others, or more crowded? Ive done the majority of my hiking in the sierras and know very little about dessert hiking.

Thanks
    Dan

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Here's a link to my trip report back in 2006.

http://caseyandemily.com/Backpack/2006/2006_07_Havasu/HavasuCanyon.htm

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Our scout troop has been there a number of times. I have been once. Unfortunately, I went after the disastrous storms that hit a few years ago. It's a straight 10 mile hike. You drop quickly on some switchbacks to the river bottom and then just hike along pretty easily. There is a village about 1.5 miles before you hit the actual falls. They have most things you would need.

We typically go in the summer. The nights are warm and the days hot. You spend most of your time cliff jumping and hiking from fall to fall. If it gets hot just lay down in the water to cool off.

Scott

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Dan, I did this trip in March 2009. To sum things up: Gorgeous scenery, absurdly disgusting trail. The most Horsesh*t I've ever encountered on any trail (including the JMT). I recall also seeing about 100 loose packets of dairy creamer scattered on the trail ( I think they fell off a mule), a decapitated fox head, and just tons of trash. Don't expect too much interaction/friendliness from the local tribe…just tons of glares.

Definitely have to step off trail a lot for the mule caravans. Tons of dust, but that's natural given the environment. Footware is tricky. Trail runners with mesh let in an unbelievable amount of dust (first time I've ever had to stop to empty out shoes), but at the same time, we had some calf high water crossings (only if you decide to go past the main falls, to mooney falls), so we needed quick draining shoes. Lose-lose situation. Dirty girl gaiters probably would have been miracle workers for this trip.

Bring burlier stakes…my ti shepard hoods would not hold a dam.n in the loose sandy soil. It's very windy down by the campground

Oh, they even have a helicopter to take hikers who are too lazy to do the uphill hike out. This also foreshadows the type of crowds you will see down there. Everything from families, to frat bros, to guys you would see on this forum

All said, I loved this trip, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Amazing amazing scenery.

Hike in running shorts, that way you can use them as swim trunks as well. Days are unbelievably hot…we started hiking at 5am to beat to sun on the way out. Also, IIRC, the campgrounds charged quite a chunk of change to camp there…the most I've ever paid. But at the same time, the poverty level down there is ridiculous, and I suspect that their campgrounds/services support much of the local economy.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Just to clarify, Havasu Falls is NOT in the GCNP; it's on tribal lands in the western part of the Canyon and access is via the Havasupai tribe. Overnight stay is limited to campgrounds and lodge in Supai, which is an 8-mile hike in. Advance reservations are generally highly recommended.

Official information can be found here:
    http://www.havasupai-nsn.gov/tourism.html

This isn't an official site but generally seems to have accurate and up-to-date info:
    http://www.havasupaitribe.com/camping.html

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Look up Supai: Havasu Canyon at azhikers.org
    At hikearizona.com there are 224 trip reports on the Havasu Canyon Trail.
    The boaters on the Colorado river call it Half a Zoo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools