Topic

Official GGG Thread READ

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Official GGG Thread READ

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 361 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

With the demise if the Wiki here at BPL I have created this one post that will contain all the most up to date information on the annual event in one place. I will bump and update this one post as needed.

Reservations have been made at Henry Coe for the upcoming GGG in February 2012.

Please help defer costs of the GGG reservations and incidentals Paypal of funds would be greatly appreciated.

Paypal to [email protected]

Please let me know if you are coming. And let me know if you are in for Friday night as well.

Remember that the Westbound lane of the Oakland Bay Bridge will be closed Friday through Tuesday

Bring a chair

The official word is as follows…

The 4th Annual BPL GGG will be held at Henry Coe State Park February 17-19 2012

cc1

Park staff would like us all in the overflow parking area. Please carpool if you can.

Overflow parking area is before the main entrance. There is a trail from the parking area that will take you right to the park HQ.
    Parking rates are $8 per day.

Pay at the HQ and then park.

If you get to the overflow lot before me and it looks locked. It is not locked, just lift the chain up.

Paying for parking. Here's how.
    Drive up towards the park headquarters. You will see a sign on your left for self registration or visitor center open.
    If the visitor center is open, pay there.
    When the visitor center is closed you will be able to self register at the iron ranger by the afore mentioned sign.
    If paying by check, please include your drivers license number and your plate number on the check(in state only)

Information about the park can be found here. http://www.coepark.org/

Backcountry Group sites at Manzanita Point #9 and 10

These are the same spots we had in January 2011.

Here is a link

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43671

And the year before

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28191

And the first one

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

We will(weather permitting) have vehicle support to haul in wood and water

Speaking of weather http://www.wunderground.com/ put in Morgan Hill, CA

Average temps for this weekend are lows around 40 and highs around 60

Also Henry W. Coe Park always has financial need. If you would like to help, please consider donating to the Coe Park Fund.
    Information can be found here

http://www.coeparkfund.org/

The Manzanita Point group campground is a scenic area on the southern end of Pine Ridge. The sites are well spread out and are shaded by ponderosa pines, oaks, and giant manzanitas. The sites are a relatively easy 2- to 3-mile hike from the Visitor Center. The primitive sites have no water, but each site is equipped with a fire ring and at least one picnic table, and pit toilets are located nearby. Each of the sites will accommodate up to 50 people.

The only other group camping area, located at Poverty Flat, is available for groups of from 10 to 25 people. The area is strictly for backpackers. Vehicles and fires are not allowed. The creek running through Poverty Flat has water most of the year but can dry up by July or August and remain dry until the fall rains begin. Poverty Flat is a moderate hike in of about 3-1/2 miles, and a difficult hike out, with an elevation gain of over 1,400 feet.

Treated water is available at Coe headquarters. Bring containers to hold as much water as you'll need during your stay. You should not drink backcountry water unless you purify it first, even water from springs.

The Rules

VEHICLES. The Manzanita Point Group sites are hike-in sites. However, a single support vehicle is allowed to make one trip in (weather permitting) to haul water, firewood, and supplies. No buses(mine is OK) or large vehicles are allowed. The support vehicle should remain at the campsite and be driven out when the group leaves. For groups of 25 or more, a second vehicle may be allowed (at the discretion of park staff — check in advance). Support vehicles are allowed only on the road between park headquarters and the assigned campsite, and they must not be driven back and forth to pick up second loads or late arrivals. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU ARRANGE IN ADVANCE TO CARRY ALL YOUR GEAR TO THE SITE IN ONE TRIP. TELL YOUR GROUP MEMBERS THAT IF THEY ARRIVE LATE, EVEN AFTER DARK, THEY CANNOT BE DRIVEN TO THE SITE BY THE SUPPORT VEHICLE, THEIR OWN VEHICLE, OR PARK STAFF VEHICLES.

Note that groups of fewer than 10 people will not be allowed vehicle access and that no vehicles are allowed to drive to the group site at Poverty Flat.

FIRES. At the times when fires are permitted, build fires only in the pits provided. For up to date information about fire restrictions, see the official Henry Coe Park information page in the State Parks website.

Gathering wood, either living or dead, is not allowed. Firewood is usually sold at the Visitor Center, but bring your own if you want to play it safe. Fires are not allowed at Poverty Flat, but you can use camp stoves. During the drier months of the year, we may impose restrictions on fires in the backcountry; check at the Visitor Center when you arrive. Please use utmost caution with all fires.

ANIMALS. Dogs are not allowed at the group sites or in any other backcountry area. Please, for their own good, do not feed any wild animals. Safeguard your food from raccoons and other animals.

WEAPONS. It is illegal to have firearms in the park or to discharge bows, slingshots, or any device capable of injuring wildlife or people.

PLANTS. All plants and plant materials, both living and dead, are protected and must not be damaged or collected.

GARBAGE. Please carry out all refuse and leave your site immaculately litter free.

SUPERVISION. There must be at least one adult for each 15 juveniles. The leader is responsible for controlling the group and its activities.

Thanks everyone so far. You guys have been awesome!
    Who is in for a Friday night hike to the group camp?

Remember that the westbound span of the Oakland Bay bridge will be closed from Friday thru Tues.

F*Ken T.
    F*Ken H.
    James DeMonaco
    F*Marc Eldrige+1
    *Peter Vacco
    *Eric Lundquist+1
    *Tony Wong
    *Jeremy Pendry+1
    F*Joshua Billings
    F*Matthew(Iceaxe)Edwards
    Lisa Frugoli +2
    *Jerry Bridgeman
    *James Castleberry
    Jim Barbour
    *Eric Hagquist
    *Adam Criswell
    *Richard Gless
    F*Greg Gressel
    *James Neubert
    F*David Lutz +2
    F*Douglas Prosser
    F*Todd Hein
    *Andrew Fahrland+1
    F*Debbie K.+1
    F*Diana Vann
    F*Douglas Wolf
    *Rick Horne+1
    F*Frank Heide+1
    *Chris Steutterman +1
    Eli
    *Denise Won
    F Morgan Rucks
    *Jason Cuzzetto+2
    F James Winstead
    *Doug Coe
    *Casey Bowden
    Jack H.
    *Manfred Kopisch+1
    *Dylan Snodgrass
    Matt Bokariza
    F Matthew Black
    F*Kevin Smith+1
    F*Christopher Yi+1
    –Ryan Teale
    F*Jay Wilkerson
    F*Cameron Kennedy
    *Ben Egan
    *David Wage+1
    F*Richard Niemi
    F*Jack Elliot
    F*Katharina P.
    E.J. & Andrea

*denotes paid

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Please add me in +1 guest. PM sent re: cost share.
    Debbie

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I am in +1.
    Will PayPal my contribution.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Sounds good. I am in. Put me on the list.
    Once again, thanks for all your work.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm in, Ken

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

43 and counting.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

94 days and counting.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Put me on the list!

Douglas Wolf
    BPL Member

@munnin

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

looking forward to it!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

See first post.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

See first post

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

On the adult rule….. Who's going to play the adult?

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

What is the per person contribution to cover reservation costs/firewood/etc.?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Eric, $10 has been the average contribution.

Also Henry W. Coe Park always has financial need. If you would like to help, please consider donating to the Coe Park Fund.
    Information can be found here

http://www.coeparkfund.org/

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ken, that is a great idea. If others would like to donate the weekend of the hike, that would be Soooooo cool. Our state parks are woefully under funded and could use our support

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I forgot to add myself to the list. Heading to Henry Coe with Eli tomorrow to have a little look.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Represent.

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

I'll bring a bunch of firewood but who is going to be doing the ONE trip support vehicle? Maybe we can all just carry a bit?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Jennifer, we have the firewood handled.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

See first post

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jennifer we are allowed a total of two vehicles for our site. I am sure that a couple of attendees would not mind driving in as it is only 3 miles to the campsites. With that said is there anyone that has a truck that would like to forsake the hike and drive in??? Is there someone that likes the destination better than the hike???? Hint hint….

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Too funny!

And I do have a truck……..

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I guess that my hint worked:)

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I have one also, with a shell.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I got a van with a heated queen bed.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 361 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools