Topic

I just can’t let it go…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I just can’t let it go…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

When out solo/since going UL (my current MO) I usually cook with Esbit tabs, but I've been thinking about switching back to using a cannister stove, maybe purchasing the Exponent F1 or a Gigapower Ti. Either one would cut over five ounces off the weight of my current cannister stove, an old 9 ounce Coleman. I just found myself about to buy the Gigapower when…well, I couldn't replace it.

Although it's heavy, a bit rusted, and nearly 15 years old, I've been too many places with the Coleman. It was with me on some of my first "backpacking" trips…drunken teenage retreats, sleeping bags under one arm, our backpacks full of food and beer, eating chili straight from the can. That stove later saved myself and six others on a climbing trip when both a Whisperlite and XGK clogged and failed. I've cooked with it in deserts and on remote Big Sur beaches during my honeymoon. It's been from So. Cal to Canada and all over the Southwest. Most recently, it's fed my children on their first backpacking trips with me and cooked tea for five while climbing in Joshua Tree last week. And it's still going like a champ.
    Trade this history for 5 ounces? I just can't do it.

Anything from way-back-when that all of you are still using?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Craig,

I would put the stove on display on my mantle. It has too many memories to risk it in the backcountry.

I still have an old Boy Scouts mess kit – but I never use it.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I sympathize with you on the Peak 1. I've had mine since God was a little girl.

One of my favorite old time items is my first "ultralight" cooking rig, from 1966. It was the kind of pot-stove rig that used to be dropped with food to lost hunters, etc. It consists of a 3-cup aluminum pot & lid with a folding stand that holds a small Sterno can with a chimney. The whole rig weighs 11 ounces. The chimney makes the Sterno much more efficient than normal and I used denatured alcohol in the sterno cans, anyway. I still use it sometimes, just for old times' sake.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

We had a really nice store that had recently opened locally called Mountain Air.
    They had a cool display of old frame packs, a Mt. Marcy tent [I think}, just a lot of stuff… and then there was this fire.
    They will reopen in spring and I'm going to take the aged loved stuff down there to display.
    As a side note we had a multi-day power outage, and in digging around for candles and a couple of propane lanterns I stumbled across my dad's Coleman lantern that still had white gas in it. I gave it 20 pumps and lit it off, I know it hadn't been fired up since 1978. Same mantles, gas, seals…and it worked perfectly for three days,[with more fuel added], this gives me spousal unit ammunition to the never get rid of anything agrument.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools