Topic

Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

I think an actual UL trangia 27 could be made:

Drop the frypan capability and just use a foil lid of same shape (I think the lid adds efficiency by trapping hot gases a bit like a caldera cone).

Make the upper windshield out of a foil frustum (truncated cone) (of approx same alu thickness as caldera cone), similarly use a foil inverted frustum lower windshield (dimensions of both pretty much unchanged), which are joined via a perforated disc supporting burner, which would contain the pot supports.

The unit would nest like the current trangia except that the pans would be upside down, so that pot support pegs fit inside pots.

As it is a new stove design, some way of controlling the simmer mode externally would seem a good addition, and perhaps attract/convert some gas users.

Foil frustum windshields might be just as robust as the current aluminum alloy because they could flex rather than dent.

NB the new UL/HA 27 pots are 80grams each, so lighter than duossal
    With the frustum windshields it would look a bit like the optimus 81/91/trapper stoves, which could also be similarly lightweight.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

I've used different pots, non-stick doesn't last, Alu becomes pitted and you should see the black water as you scrub it clean, and the pan becomes pitted after say 50 nights. Ti burns food easily. With Duossal, you don't get burning anything like as bad and cleaning is easier.

Duossal is the perfect marriage for clean long-living pans, adding 50g for that is worthwhile.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

So, a Trangia 27 kit includes at a minimum 2 pans and a lid, and optionally a kettle.

A Caldera Cone and its stove is about 55g to fit a Trangia 27 pot, and a foil lid not much.

So for a group 2/3/4 person type situation you could pack a Trangia 27 kit, which is heavy, and a light Caldera and then could parallel cook using both pans. Heck add two cones and you could be frying and two pans all at once.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Nigel,

If you want to save some weight, the Clikstand really will work, and it will work with both pots simultaneously, just like a Trangia.

The stand is a little hard to see in that photo, but it is there.

Now, you do lose the upper windscreen of the Trangia when you use the Clickstand. I add in a Ti foil windscreen of my own to the arrangement shown above, 29g.

You save even more weight if you leave behind the pan from the Trangia set and use a lightweight pan. I'll do the numbers when I have time.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

So the Clickstand, you use your existing pots and just have a lighter base, and the same core issue you get if you don't do a cone of the missing shield to add

If you ditch the Trangia 27's base and windshield and use the Clickstand instead, you remove 314g of Trangia and add 94g for Clickstand or 57g for Clickstand Ti and add your windshield (say from the same Clickstand) of 37g or 20g. So your weight saving is between 183g costing $45, and 237g costing $80

If you get a Caldera Cone you get 269g of saving for $35, probably gain some fuel efficiency too (hot exhausts are kept nearer the pan with the cone than the Clickstand – I guess you've measure that).

Trail Designs confirmed the Alu/HA pans are supported by their cone, but not the Duossal ones I own :(

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Nigel,

Weight savings will vary depending on what version of the Trangia 27 you have. With my Trangia 27, If I remove the lower and upper windscreens and substitute a Clikstand with a BPL Ti windscreen, I save 241g. I paid $39 including shipping for my used Clikstand and $5 for my used windscreen.

If I further substitute a small lightweight fry pan for the Trangia's fry, pan, my weigh savings increase to 300g. I paid $5 for the small lightweight fry pan at a garage sale.

My total cost for 300g savings is about $50 or about $0.17 per gram if my math is correct. Not cheap, but reasonable I think, and there's just no way I'm going to carry a 660g set up backpacking, and that 660g does not include the Trangia burner, pot grabber, or strap.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Thinking about my previous UUL trangia suggestions, they have mutated towards a more caldera cone like form (hence this is now a suggestion to Trail Designs); here it is:—

The usual partial cone (frustum) windshield is split into two (permanently formed) cones/frustums which are joined by an aluminium "burner holding" plate. So this stove would be like a 3 part trangia. Lifting the burner off ground has some advantages: it insulates burner from cold ground, and fixes the burner-pot distance on bumpy ground. The lower 2 or all 3 parts could latch together like a modern trangia.

The upper cone stops short (like a sidewinder) for compactness, and to allow the lip-less duossal pots to be used (because their base rests on "standard" pot supports rather than hanging on their pot lip).
    The nesting HA/UL/duossal trangia 27 pots are used, with a foil lid.

The pot supports are on the middle disc (disappear inside upside down pots when packed): see diagram.

A 12-10 / feather fire style burner with external simmer control would be a further improvement over a trangia.

The unit should retain the compact nesting of a "proper" trangia, the permanently closed cones should save weight/assembly time, and hopefully waste less material than a a fissure cone.

The fact that foil rather than hard rigid UL alloy is used for the windshields might make it more robust than a UL 27 trangia: instead of denting the foil can flex and spring back.

The diagram:

Caldera Cone 2 part 2TrangiaPots

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me (by CP) that my diagram wrongly shows the lower windshield inside the outer one rather than vice versa. Also, its possible the foil might need additional protection (eg an enclosing bowl).
    NB this idea is (non-exclusively) donated to Trail Designs.

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

The previous idea seems a bit complicated: now I think more, a loosely fitting sidewinder/f(l)issure style windshield for 2 nesting pots (like those of the trangia 27) supported by, for example, stakes, with the addition of a solid base disc to hold burner in place, and cope with uneven ground, and a externally controllable burner (like the feather-fire), would seem better and simpler: and could probably available "made to special order" if Trail Designs were asked.

Sidewinder-ish/f(l)issure-ish 2pan with Base for uneven ground

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools