Topic

Modifying a SMD Vamp Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifying a SMD Vamp Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I recently purchased a Vamp Tarp from someone on this site, in great condition. When I saw it I realized that it would lend itself well to perimeter netting. I sewed a 15" wide section of no-see-um netting all the way around, and use a small piece to put over the vent in the top. I used Polycro for the flooring and left it bigger than needed in case I needed to put some up the side in some serious sideways rain. The other nice thing is that the poles can be extended and set at an angle if you use all of the tieouts, to get them out of the way of the floor. Set up this way, two people can easily fit. I got this idea from my Lightheartgear Solo 6 tent.

The tarp with Dyneema guylines and perimeter netting: 19.62oz
    With guylines, netting and floor: 22.51oz
    With guylines, netting, floor and 6 titanium stakes: 24.03ozThe Vamp with a 25"x77" neoair and a 20"x60" insideSide view of tarp with floor and pads inside
    One nice thing is that my total cost was under $100 and much manual labor, not including the stakes. I still need to make a prop to hold the vent open wider, and work on the screen around the entrance, to make sure there is no gaping hole for mosquitoes.
    The first pic shows a 25"x77"Neoair large and a 20"x48" Thermarest set up on the floor, the second pic shows the tarp set up from the side without the door. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for all the inspiration from this site!!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Looks great!

After using my own Wild Oasis this summer I've been looking for a similar two person setup. Have you thought of adding an additional door to the other side for easier access by the second person?

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Not really. If I do much more modifying I'll will start approaching the weight of my Solong 6. Excellent idea though! Without stakes this setup weighs 22.51 oz, my Solong 6 weighs 27oz. The Solong has a true bathtub floor and better ventilation, plus both sides roll up for views. The Vamp has a little more room inside and better headroom.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Still, as-is it's a palace for one especially if you had to weather a storm!

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

I agree!!! And I am a big guy!

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

Nicely done Robert. And I agree, it would be great to have mesh around the door opening for stargazing or more ventilation when its not raining. Maybe a smaller mesh insert in the door itself? I'll look forward to see what you come up with.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

That is a good idea about the mesh door insert. Now I just have to figure out how i'll do it, attach it, and keep it out of the way when it isn't needed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools