Topic

Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants and Montbell UL Down Inner Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants and Montbell UL Down Inner Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Brinkman

@amuroray

Locale: Southern California

I am thinking of purchasing these pants as a system for colder weather. I would fit into the Medium size 31-33 but I am concerned that if I wanted to use the wind pants as a shell for the down inner pants that they would be too small and compress the down. Does anyone have any experience with these pants?

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I recommend becoming a member in the down sweater state of the market report Roger talks about how warmth is less about loft and more about amount of down. so if the wind pants just compress the down pants a little don't stress it. I would not want baggy windpants they will make a flapping noise when they get blown around and it would drive me nuts!!!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The MB Dynamo pants have an elastic waist band and high ankle zip, they're intended to be used as a pullover. The MB UL down inner pants are so light in loft, about 1.5" double layer laid flat according to last year's State of the Market Review, layering the inner pant under the Dynamo shouldn't be a problem. MB has their layering system down pat, so I'm sure they cut the pants to allow for the use of a light insulation. Just my take, no experience with this particular combo.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I know John Abela uses the Dynamo pants as his main hiking pants and should have a good idea about fit. If he doesn't respond here, you could PM him or contact him through his site, redwoodoutdoors.com.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Andrew: I am thinking of purchasing these pants as a system for colder weather. I would fit into the Medium size 31-33 but I am concerned that if I wanted to use the wind pants as a shell for the down inner pants that they would be too small and compress the down. Does anyone have any experience with these pants?

I am a huge advocate (probably the biggest out there) of the MB Dynamo Wind Pants. I have used them for just over 800 miles on the trail at this point, in the last two hiking seasons.

The only rip that has occurred on mine has been in the groin area where the got caught on my boot while I sat down Indian style and three little threads pulled loose. Easy enough fix though.

They have had thousands (people here at BPL can attest to this) of embers from fires hit them and I have only had a single small singe point (about as bit as a pencil eraser). (I am not advocating they are fire-proof lol just crazy weird when it comes to this… people sit around the fire keep expecting me to go up in flames LOLOL)

Beyond those two factors – both of which are my own fault – these pants have proven to be beyond amazing.

So all of that said, to address your question.

I am a bit larger than you and have to wear the large size. I am 6'1 and average 200-210 at the start of a hike, depending on how long the hike will be.

At 210 I am able to wear my Patagonia Cap 3 bottoms and the MBDWP's with no problem with extra room. When I slip on a pair of MB UL Down Pants or Western Mountaineering Flash Pants the fit is ok. I am also still able to tuck my tops into the waist of the pants with no problems. I am not sure the WM Flight pants would fit. I have never tried them (never gotten my hands on a pair of them) but with their loft I think they would not fit.

I think one of the things you said in your post needs to be addressed in and of itself.

wind pants as a shell

As much as I tout the awesomeness of these pants they should just not be considered a hard outer shell pant.

I doubt you are thinking they are but I feel it should be said that these should not replace a hard outer shell pant if you are intending to go into the snow with them WITH down pants on underneath them.

The simple fact is they are not waterproof. Whatever you have on underneath them is going to get wet. No doubt about it.

I have used them to cross waist high streams. I have used them in waist high snow, I have used them in 90+ weather. They are awesome in every situation I have taken them to. But please do not consider them to be a hard shell. I would not consider wearing them in snow over my down pants and expect my down pants to stay dry. They would not. They are a wind pant that I have pushed the limits of. But they are far from a hard shell.

I hope this provides some insight on these pants and by all means I am happy to answer any further questions about them!

Thanks,
    John B. Abela
    RedwoodOutdoors.Com

Raul Perez

@raulp3

I have the down inner pants and used them on a recent hike. I use smartwool midweight base layer bottoms and I've gotten as low as 24*F with these pants with zero issues. I'm sure I can probably be comfy to at least 20*F.

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Andrew — I'm interested in this same setup.

My guess is that with size medium in both pants the down compression itself would not be a problem. However, you would not have any air gaps which can add a significant amount of warmth.

Let me know your experiences with this combo!

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Honest question… If the wind pants are NOT to be used as an outer shell, why bring them? If it starts raining do you then have to pull out ANOTHER pair of pants that are water-resistant and swap?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@scribbles Honest question… If the wind pants are NOT to be used as an outer shell, why bring them? If it starts raining does you then have to pull out ANOTHER pair of pants that are water-resistant and swap?

For the same reason that people carry a wind jacket and a rain jacket.

A hiker either believes in a layering system or they do not. Some hikers adhere to a 4 layer layering system and some adhere to a 5 layer layering system. Those of us that adhere to the 5 layer system tend to take SUL gear that allows us to layer on/off additional clothing as needed in order to maintain the most consistent core temperature as is possible.

Additionally many experienced hikers have come to the realization that rain alone does not justify the need for rain paints in moderate temperatures. (again, core-temperature regulation) It takes both rain and very cold temperatures to begin to justify the need for rain protection on your legs. I am not saying your feet, but your legs. Remember the importance of core body temperature and what parts of your body matter and which do not.

If you are not the type of person who sees no logic in carries a wind jackets (such as the truly exceptional MontBell Tachyon Anorak Wind Jacket [65.2 grams, 2.299 ounces]) and a rain jacket (such as the ZPacks Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket [133 grams, 4.7 ounces]) than it would probably not make much sense to you as a hiker to carry a pair of wind pants and a pair of rain pants. I use to be that way. It took a whole lot of pondering and playing around with different gear and a scale to realize that buying lighter weight layering gear worked out better both for core temperature regulation and for overall weight savings. For example, the wind jacket, rain jacket and wind pants I now use weigh less than the rain paints I use to use. Three for the weight of one is a good thing in my mind. At this point I no longer use rain pants as I personally do not see the need for them as my legs rarely get cold (and matter little in your core temp regulation) yet my chest and arms tend to get cold a lot easier. So for me, the system works out well. A perfect example of HYOH coming into reality.

If having to stop for 20 seconds to put on (or take off) as you put it "ANOTHER pair" of whatever is the focus and approach of your hiking style, than yes, going with a 4 or 5 layering system probably does not make much sense. Another perfect example of a HYOH approach coming into reality.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools