Topic

what angle necessary for tarp to shed water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear what angle necessary for tarp to shed water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

I was brainstorming a homemade tarp design as I have tons of tyvek I bought and have not used (so essentially the only cost in my head for some new gear is the time)

How much should I worry about the pitch angle of my tarp when setup?

I see many tarps pitched at tight 45 degree angles, ( / ) but the usable space underneath for the size of the tarp can end up quite narrow. I imagine the steeper angle certainly does not hurt in shedding rain but I was hoping to use a smaller tarp, pitch at maybe 20-30 degree angle, and have more area / space underneath in case the spouse comes along. It would also make getting into and out of a side entry bug bivy easier for my 6' large frame self.

opinions?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools