Topic

DIY removable frame question.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY removable frame question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am thinking about a minimal frame for my golite peak. It would be for when I am carrying more weight than normal, or carrying a bunch of water which tends to be quite heavy relatively to it's size.
    My question is, do I need to sew something to hold the frame in place or can I just shove it in?
    I was thinking about placing a frame hoop in between the removable pad sheet and my 1/2 length thermarest z-lite. Or possibly behind the thermarest if that would be better.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I did a similar thing with a frameless travel pack I have.

It had a foam pad enclosed within a pocket on the side of the bag that goes against my back. I slit the pocket horzontally, half way up, on the inside of the pack and inserted the inverted U shaped frame. The upper part of the pocket keeps the frame in place.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

I don't have my Peak in front of me right now, does it have the velcro to seal in or allow the foam "frame" to be removed like the Jam/pinnacle? if so, I would think that would be a great place to slide any sort of frame into. I would look at delrin rod (available through McMaster-Carr) or potentially a thin Kydex, which could be cut in an X shape (or any shape you want) and has the advantage of being easily thermoformable to your back or specialized shapes. If you are interested in Kydex, I have a size large Peak and some leftover sheets of .08 (on the thicker side) and would be happy to build you something. Maybe I'll whip something up tonight and post it to see what folks think!

Ryan

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This might seem odd, but the other day I put a parang (a type of heavy machete) right behind my main pad and it kinda worked as a support. It drastically increased the rigidity of it and help transfer to the hips. So if you ever have something long a sturdy, place it right behind your pad and it will help prevent torso collapse.
    @ Ryan, that kydex frame sounds very interesting! How would it compare to your typical removable stays (frame weight, carrying capacity)?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools