Topic

Fabric finds!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric finds!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I was over at Seattle Fabrics ( http://www.seattlefabrics.com ) this morning and snagged a great buy on 1.3 ounce silicone impregnated heat reflective ripstop. Now I just have to have fun and figure out what to do with this fun looking pile of fabric!
    http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#1.3%20oz%20RS

I love shopping there, and now it appears I will be making a ton of projects this winter! I got a ton of 1.3 ounce sil in a couple colors (I love how sheer it is!) and found some nice pack cloth to make a project for my son I have been meaning to do for awhile.

But..any ideas on what to use my reflective fabric on? I couldn't pass it up at the price it was going for!

David Wills

@willspower3

I bought 7 yards of a it a few months ago. The best I could come up with was a 5×9 tarp, which would reflect the heat of the sun away from me, or the heat of a fire towards me. I also made 2 reflective VB bags. Good durable replacement for E-Blankets, and a tad warmer than regular VB bags, if your into those. Maybe a warm weather poncho (reflects away), new fabric on desert umbrella, VB socks. from what ive gathered, the reflective properties will only be noticeable in situations where you don't have enough insulation (emergencies) or when you want to reflect heat away. Have fun with it. Shame its so expensive.

Check out owfinc.com owareusa.com and thru-hiker.com if you want to spend less on the regular silnylon.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

David, thanks for the link, TH is MUCH cheaper, and I could get the 1.2 ounce instead. Fun!

Richard Stein

@buckaroobanzai

OK, this is a new one on me – "heat reflective ripstop". I've always been amazed at my father's old army blanket with its heat reflective abilities. Nice 40-year-old technology but not in today's UL category. How reflective is this really?

Buckaroo

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

MAke a couple of Vapor Barrier Liners for your winter sleeping bags.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

That might be a fun idea, Eric…….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools