Topic

Marmite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

A friend of mine who lives in France gave me a small jar of Marmite. Looking at the ingredients, it seems like something that would be good for backpacking. Yes, I understand people love it or hate it but I wondered if there are ways to incorporate it into a meal, snack or drink it hot. I sort of like it. It tastes a bit like concentrated beef broth. So….would this be something worth taking?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Pretty yuk stuff compared to Vegemite.

Cheers

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My boss (we are going back 25 years – lol) used to eat that on crispbread. Bleh. Joan was English and she also ate something called Brantson Pickle (it was kind of relish like but really tangy).

I've never tried Vegimite or Marmite but I am a little curious.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

My MIL finds it hilarious to bring back single serving packets of both when they travel (they go to Europe often).

I'd say both are learned tastes. Some really love it. Not me, but hey most of Europe thinks peanut butter is weird so what do I know? ;-)

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

"Pretty yuk stuff compared to Vegemite."

But everyone knows that Vegemite is the weak antipodean imitation……….

But if you want beef broth, use Bovril!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

It is high in calories, protein and vitamins, so I think it would be good for using on the trail. Maybe cook up a meal at home,dehydrate it and have it for supper, snack or just before bed, especially in the winter.

Vegemite is miles worse in taste. : )

This stuff is strong, but my cat likes it!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools