Topic

Got my Firelite 500 today..1st impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Got my Firelite 500 today..1st impressions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the update Ryan. I've been told by a supposedly reliable source that a redesign is underway for these pots. I love the pot (other than the misfitting lid) but I would also love to see embossed measuring marks in it. Maybe that could also be incorporated into the updated design.

BTW: I especially like the absolutely perfect fit on the FireLite Esbit Wing Stove. Combined with a windscreen, the whole thing makes for a great lightweight cooking system.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ryan,
    I have 2 of the pots. One with and one without handles. I managed to punch a hole in the one without handles by being careless when making a dimple at the one cup line.

Just a couple of suggestions:

It would be useful to have measures on the cups. I don't care about the lid – I make my own anyway to fit the Ziploc 1-cup cup.

On the other hand, an extra 1/4 cup capacity would be a little more useful for cooking. The useful capacity of the 500 ml pot is 1 3/4 cups. Two cups is just too close to the rim.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

MSR tea kettle..
    800ml, 4oz, properly tight fitting lid, _necessary_ spout so you can keep the lid fitted while boiling, removable handles if 4oz is too much weight, REI 100% lifetime refund policy. $39.
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=2678982&parent_category_rn=4500495&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Bill, that stove you are using looks interesting, is it basically an open cat stove with some flanges to hold the pot?

MSR titanium tea kettle

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Brett — Agree about the MSR. Also noted the stove in Bill's post. It is similar to what I have been experimenting with for a wood stove. It works so far, but Bill's version is better than what I have been playing with.

Bill F. — do you burn wood in the can stove? And, can you redo an explanation of your external frame? IMO it is to die for. bd

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Brett / bd,

The stove is from Japan and is very special. It was made by JSBJSB who posts here once in awhile. He has a great web site. Do a "forums " search for JSBJSB.

This thread talks a little about the stove you are asking about

The stove is for alcohol and is small. Alcohol stoves in Japan are a finely developed Art Form.

bd,

Which external frame are you talking about? If it the one for the Cuben Pack Bag I have never talked about it. Those are the first pictures I have posted.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I recieved mine (sans handles) a week or two ago. I was bummed the lid wouldn't fit. It wasn't until today that I found everyone else has had the same problem. Foil lids are ok, but I like a real lid that seals the pot without crumpling- not so much for cooking, but for packing things inside it and stuffing it in a pack.
    If some sort of replacement lid is in the works, I'd like one.
    Otherwise, it's a great little pot.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I am frustrated here, tried to post before and lost a comment. Oh well, Brett: Dittos on the MSR.

Bill F.: The new or different frame is cool. Can you post about it?

I have bought a UL 45 from REI when they were on closeout just to pirate the external and partially internal frame, by cutting off their bag and accessories. I don't have time or the materials, tools, and layout to make a new frame. But, I believe you are on the right track. A frame that can take different packs (from summer to winter and big to small) is where I want to go. bd

Kurt Jensen

@kurjens

I got my pot last week and just like the other posts, I had the same problem with the lid not fitting. I thought it was just my bad luck getting one that didn't fit properly.

Other than the lid not fitting, I really like it. A perfect size for my lightweight solo trips and the weight can't be beat.

Too bad about the lid. Is there any chance we can get a replacement?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hi Kurt,
    See above: Ryan said they're working on something. I also got a nice email for BPL customer service saying that they're working on a solution and will keep us posted. I'm very confident they'll make good–it just might take some time.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

My Firelite lids sucks like most everyone else's. After spending 2 hours last night trying to shimmy the inside of the pot with my dental drills (to little avail), I played around with other pots and lids. I found that the lid for my Snow Peak Solo set fits the Firelite perfectly if it's inverted. Also, the Vargo Ti Lite lid fits the Snow Peak cup and pot. BUT–the Ti Lite lid doesn't fit the Firelite (too heavy anyway). My suggestions to Vargo would be to (1)make a proper Firelite lid, and (2) make all their lids interchangable (for similiarly sized pots), for mix-and-match flexibility, and (3) add measuring lines in 1/2 cup increments.

I love the Nestle lid idea, and might try to fabricate one of my own. Till then, though, I'll go with my MSR Titan. I usually just do 2-4 day outings, and I'm less stringent than most regarding weight (20-25# pack). We all choose our ounces differently, and I want everything I carry to work well.

But it would be sweet if we could score a replacement lid for our Firelites.

Addendum, 1.23.07–While I was pestering the help at Boulder's REI yesterday, I found the seldom-stocked Backpacker's Pantry Reflective Collar. It's a 9" X 9" piece of rather heavy aluminum, which is folded into quarters. Each of the quarters measures 4.5" square, which would be a perfect fit for us to cut into a circle for use as a lid (w/o handle). Cost=$3.75 + tax – dividend, or about a buck for each of the 4 lids that can be made from one 9" X 9" piece. That might get us through a season while we wait to see if Ryan can talk Vargo into being sensible/responsible. I'm off now to see if I can find some Nestle Nido. We are all so hopeless–our shared quest for the ultimate gear will never end!

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I agree totally that an extra 1/4 cup capacity and measurement marks scored into the pot would be great.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hey Ryan et al,
    Any update on the progress of a better-fitting lid from the manufacturer? Also, any plans to add the measuring marks? I think that was a great suggestion. Maybe the same laser engraving used for the BPL address on the outside of the pot could be used on the inside instead of score marks? I'm just thinking out loud here and don't really understand the nuts and bolts of it all so if the technology is prohibitive, sorry.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

It looks like from the pictures that the misfitting lids are about 1/10" too wide.
    Has anyone tried a round wedge, possibly something like this:
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The idea is to very lightly hammer or press the mandrel into the Firelite 500 until you get the desired diameter.

Just an idea.

MikeB

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I just wanted to second Jason's desire for measuring marks.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Gary, Your post contains a lot of the ideas being tossed around here in this thread, so I chose it to reference from.

I also think that (1) lid for multiple pots/cups would be a really smart move for a gear company. It would allow them to produce a line of pots, including a cup; for single person use (cup), smaller pot for short trips, larger pot for extended trips. If you brought all three pieces along on an outing the lid could be interchanged as needed during the meal.

Having the MSR Titan myself, I'd make this design the larger pot and work back from there, getting squatter as you go. It's a fuel efficent shape, and packs well amongst other gear. The only caveat I have found with this item is that the area that holds the handles on can be sharp and cut fabric.

Interchangeable set of handles would lower the set's weight too. Or a bail, ala Bill F', would also suffice IMO. I think a bail offers the added advantage of easier conformation of a cozy, without danger of the handles tearing it. Plus, the bail stays far enough away from the flames to stay cool to the touch(if it can be made to 'lock' in the upright postion, like the Titan's lid handle)IMO.

The only thing I differ on here with others is the fact that I prefer pots/cups without any internal rivets, markings, or indentations. I use a packtowel or viscose piece to wipe out my cooking gear after use; because I have found this not to scratch the interior surface. I once had a pot with 'measurements' scribed inside and found it impossible to clean out food crud. If the measurements were on the exterior, and did not interrupt the smooth interior surface that would be useful. I think most folks can eyeball the correct level of liquids from the outside, since markings should be a good inch or so apart. After using certain pots and cups over the years I've found it easy enough to Sharpie mark the exterior to my satisfaction for measurement usage IMO.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Mike,
    You can't work titanium that much unless you heat it bright red. You would have to keep the entire pot rim incandescent while swaging it. That's a tall order, but you could try it if you have a suitable swage.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hey, if some users want to fire up their torches and do after-market blacksmithing, more power to them.

But c'mon — why are users made to go through all this to begin with? BPL should have fixed this with their supplier upfront — and not pawn the problem off to users! The fact that a few users don't mind an ill-fitting lid does not excuse BPL in my opinion.

It's been over a month now… so hopefully, BPL will come back with a satisfactory solution very soon. Mailing out a replacement lid would not be unreasonable…

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Guys-

Does anyone know what material those Nido lids/bottoms are made of? Aluminum? Tin? Steel?

Thanks,

-Mike

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Steel

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Some things are better with a tight fit…
    Pot lids are definitely NOT one of them.

My JetBoil 1.5 L. pot had a plastic lid that fit so tight I could barely get it back on when packing and never get it on when cooking.

SOLUTION: I scraped the offending inside rim with a knife until I got the right fit.

SOLUTION 1 for FIRELITE 500 LID: Place the lid over a bowling ball (we all have at least one, right?) Using a rubber mallet (got one of those too?) Pound the lid until it fits the bowling ball shape better. This will likely bring the lid rim down in diameter.

SOLUTION 2 for FIRELITE 500 LID:Take the aforementioned rubber mallet and hit the fabricator&/or designer over the head for such a stupid oversight.

Eric

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

May I borrow your mallet?

"couch"

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OPTION 2+ for FIRELITE 500 LID:Take the aforementioned rubber mallet and hit the fabricator&/or designer over the head for such a stupid oversight.

(+) Then take same mallet and konk BPL on the head for knowingly and shamefully pawning this problem off to members!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

sorry duplicate post; been a while since I was at this thread.

Kurt Jensen

@kurjens

Noticed a new disclaimer concerning this pot on BPL.

It says: "Don't be fooled by a lid that seems too big – press down firmly with your thumbs, and it has a nice tight fit. "

Maybe with some of the pots, but not mine. I've pressed plenty hard and mine doesn't fit, plain and simple. It is too big!

Kurt

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hey all – this is Addie, customer service for BPL. Just wanted to let you know that we are still working on a fix. We'll contact those who have pots to see who needs the fix – and I'll talk to Ryan about getting something on the FireLite order page that indicates our work on this. Thanks for your patience!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools