Topic

Sunshine in the Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Sunshine in the Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Sunshine in the Sierra

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Absulutely awesome article Balls! Very inspiring!
    My favorite lines
    "I'm not flip flopping Dad!" Sounds like she should run for office next.. just kidding. Did she even know the double meaning there when she said that?
    "two starburst injuries"
    Love how you captured the "family humor" of fun things kids say.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I really enjoyed the article even though I followed your journal!

Just for the record–I was privileged to meet these two intrepid hikers at the end of their journey. They are both wonderful people!

Ed Jarrett
    BPL Member

@edjarrett53

I have enjoyed your articles here as well as your journal. I also enjoyed meeting up with you just north of Olallie Resort in Oregon.

Kathy Hoffman

@basecampbound

Locale: Foothills of San Gabriel Mtns.

Really appreciate the posts. Very good read. Sunshine, because of her adventure, will be one young lady who will be prepared for anything in life!

Ned Tibbits

@nedtibbits

Mountain Education trains hikers to safely anticipate and deal with all these extremes of hiking. We have been doing this for PCT/CDT hikers and general wilderness users since 1982 and have read many trail journals about thier joys and trials. This account is one of the best we have ever read!

For all who desire to enter the high country before the snowpack melts, what you read and saw, here, is what you will need to prepare for. This is typical of the conditions at that time of year and shows what we like to call, "The Reality of the Trail." It is not easy. You will eat twice the usual amount of food while only covering half your desired trail miles per day. The creeks are bad. The climbs can be dangerous. The glissades are glorious, but you've got to know what you're doing.

Learning what these conditions are really like the year before you do the trail will show you what to prepare for, what skills you need to learn to get through it, and help keep you safe and happy once you start your dream hike. Take it seriously. We teach in the snow from January through July and these videos included in this article show conditions and skills typical of what you will have to do on a daily basis on the PCT north of Kennedy Meadows and all the way to Donner Pass (after winters like the last two…and this one coming up).

It doesn't matter where you get your experience and skills practice, just get it! Local Junior Colleges, Community Colleges, State Colleges, Universities, and Mountain Shops may have courses which will teach you how to do the requisite skills to be safe. The Sierra has a stable, spring snowpack that is consolidated and firm, especially in the morning, but it has its dangers like post-holing, slip-and-falls, steep traverses, tree navigation, and much more. From our perspective, teaching along the PCT from Tahoe south, you should get a taste of these spring conditions in the high sierra along the John Muir/Pacific Crest Trails the year before your thru hike so you will know how to prepare for it.

Great documentation, guys! Now, post to the pct-l to help others know what you had to do and what the next class of thrus needs to prepare for. See you at the Kickoff!

Charles Vandenbelt

@chuckwagon

Locale: Nashville

What a wonderful account ! Thanks so much for sharing. God bless you both. Charlie.

Kelley Law

@kelley51464

Thanks for sharing, it was enjoyable read. One note though, The California/Oregon border is actually a state line not a border. No Fences or Guards.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Enjoyed the read. And reading and seeing Wired. I followed her journal and it was awesome.

Balls and Sunshine. Great going. Can't wait to start reading about your 2012 journey.

Tony Carter

@tcarter

Skippy would be so proud of you guys!

Elisabeth Chaplin Philabaum
    BPL Member

@elisabitch-2

Seriously, you guys are amazing, and I'm so proud to have shared the trail with you this summer :) Bunches of sweet memories tied in with your entire family.

Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

Great story, great photos!

Jesse Tinkess
    Spectator

@jesterjosev

I was impressed by your article, I found it had a good balance of quantitative information such what gear you used, the miles that you hiked each day, and information about the Sierra; and the qualitative information too, such as the people that you met on the trail, and the events that transpired. The photos are interesting too, I'm sure that Skippy is looking down on us right now with a grin on its face.
    -Jesse

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I love the article. I've been hoping to see this for a while. I met these two a few times. One of those times was at a trail angel's house next to the trail. There were lots of people there, but Sunshine was the only one with the energy to get up and play horseshoes. Everyone else either sat the whole time or getting up to use the bathroom or get water.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I am going to show this to my daughter tonight. I would love to do this with my daughter. Your daughter is so skilled now! It is amazing. I know those peaks would have scared me some, especially with all of the snow. One more word… WOW!

John Ellis

@farther

Locale: State of Jefferson

Wow, what a great story. I had the privilage of hiking the AT in '98 with my youngest daugher who was 19 at the time. You will alway cherish the memory.

Michael Johnstone
    BPL Member

@mjohnstone

Locale: Midwest

What a great story. You are an inspiration on how to raise a family and enjoy life. Thanks for sharing.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Fantastic journal and photography! Can you please provide the dates you did the JMT portion of the hike?

Thanks!
    Roleigh

p.s. I see the link to your Journal, I see the dates are June 16-July 6, 2011.

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Awesome report;

I was out in the Sierra in 2010 and 2011… I can relate to your good memories there. I was more concerned by the countless stream crossings than all of the snow. There were several fatalities (mostly in Yosemite) when folks underestimated the currents. I'm thinking about a safety line with a grab-hook next time I go out there under the same conditions.

Congratulations!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools