Topic

Pinnacle Packing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Pinnacle Packing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

So I have my winter gear together but am having trouble getting it to pack well in any packs we currently own. The two main issues are the sleeping bag and full length SOlite pad.

My first thought is that a compression sack would help the sleeping bag issues, but not sure I want to mess with that each morning, then carrying the pad on top of the pack.

Second thought was getting a Golite Pinnacle, with gear for negative single digits, on one to three night trips can you get everything inside the pack including the pad?

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

I was able to get everything in my pinnacle for 3 winter days. This included older traditional winter insulation(bulky and heavy)a ridge rest and an old thermarest. I feel I could easily have gotten more food/fuel in though weight wise I would have wanted a lighter winter base weight as I was aproaching 30lbs total, the max for me in this pack. If you have a reasonably light kit you should have no problems getting 3 or more nights out of one.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I got all my winter stuff in the pinnacle except the blue walmart pad which I tied to the bottom. I also was around 30 lbs with 3 days of food fuel and water. I found the pack to carry this load well.

rrr

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Just put the pad on the outside. Strapped vertically to the middle of the pack seems to work for me on those rare times I carry a foam pad.

Are you using a down bag?

Looking at the photos from that little walk in Alaska Skurka did, he couldn't fit his pad in a Pinnacle either (or didn't want to bother with it).

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Thanks for the advice, will pick up a Pinnacle at the Golite sale in town.

Andy,
    I am using a 750 down, 0 degree F bag, was trying to avoid strapping the Solite pad to the back in case I needed to put snow shoes there, I did try it though. I saw Skurka with it on top too, he was carrying a lot of food and insulation, also used the thicker Ridgerest pad.

Will post a winter gear list and review soon.

Paul Hope

@paulhope

Had a Pinnacle and sold it. It can certainly hold everything that you would need for a winter climb, the problems arise when you are trying to lash your winter gear: snowshoes, ice axe, 'pons, helmet, shovel, probe etc. Granted there are workarounds like stashing the snowshoes in the side pockets but this is cumbersome at best and the center strap can start to pull away from the top seam if you start attaching things to it or using it to strap things down.

Overall it is a great winter backpacking pack if you don't really need all of the winter mountaineering gear.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I had an old Gust which I damaged too much on the bottom a few years ago on a XC trip, dragging it over some rocks in Sequoia NP in CA. Have any of you had the Gust and now have the Pinnacle? Is the fit about the same?
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Haven't tried the gust, but I've got a Pinnacle and am VERY happy with it. I can fit loads of gear in it if needed. Bulky things like fleece, etc.

Note: I personally have found the Pinnacle to be uncomfortable with loads above 35 lbs. 30lbs is not bad at all.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

HJ, that's my experience with the Gust although not too bad, but like many things, I got by.
    Thank you,
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I'm super happy with the pack. I like that the compression straps on the sides unbuckle and can cross across the back — brilliant design. But with an axe, crapons, 'shoes, etc. strapped to the back, that might get a bit cumbersome, particularly if the weight went over 35#. I'm thinking the Quest or even the Odyssey (if you need that much capacity) might be a better option for that type of load.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

It will carry a LOT of stuff. I'd agree it gets uncomfortable above 35 lbs. The foam backpad can't cut it. Just for fun, I loaded it full with 47 pounds (mostly lightweight food except a bag of apples) inside it for my Wood Badge weekend. Only had to "hike" 1/4 mile. I could tell that would not have been fun. Can't recall if that was before I modified the backpad though. I added a piece of corrugated plastic.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

When I had my Gust, I used my TR LE 3/4 length pad for support/padding. The main zipper on my Epperson pack is separating on the one side as it is a front loader, have not lost any gear yet. I am in need to get a winter pack. I think my Epperson is around 5500 ci. Maybe after the first of the year I can pick up a clearance, top loader pack, provided I quit buying old bp stoves. I like the compression straps on the Pinnancle to squeeze the pack down when carrying lower volume loads.
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Yeah, I'm "done" with panel loader backpacks. Top loaders only. Too many zipper blow outs.

The compression straps on the Pinnacle are really nice. The pack is only 2lbs IIRC empty, so I frequently use it as a day pack when I'm with my family (since I'm the one who hauls all the gear for the family). I also no longer need to carry a separate little pack if I do a peak bag or other side trip. I just use the Pinnacle and pull the straps tight.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

HJ, that's what drew me a few years ago to maybe gettting another Golite pack, the compression straps, however, I got a Six Moons Designs Starlite which is working good for me.
    Duane

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

The 2009 Pinnacle (first with hip pockets) was 34 oz. I trimmed it down to 28 or so. I got it as a do-all pack for Scouting and it has worked great. I hope to MYOG a lighter pack at some point.

BTW, nice to see you finally made it here now, Duane. I chatted with you for a while at the junction north of Elbow Lake in the Wind Rivers 2 summers ago. My partner and I were talking up BPL to you then. ;)

Marcel Bak

@rzez

1. Take out the foam insert.
    2. RR inside is good but "sticky" – if you have bigger sleeping bag/big food sack there are problems with fitting them inside.
    3. Packing the stuff in drysacks makes life simpler – a) food sack goes on the bottom, b) sleeping bag sack goes above it, c) tent and stove sack goes in the middle, d) clothing sack goes on the top.
    4. Smaller things (phone, snow stakes etc.) and shovel fit great in the front pouch.
    5. Water bottle (with cozzy) goes into side pocket.
    6. Camera goes to the other side pocket (if DSLR, if compact – fits into belt pouch).
    7. Compass and snacks fit into second belt pouch.

I'll try to upload photo of the Pinnacle packed for 11 winter days around weekend if you're still interested.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Hi Michael. Good memory, I had looked here quite awhile back. Very surprised someone I met on the trail posts where I belong.
    Duane

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools