Topic

Vapor Barrier wetness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Vapor Barrier wetness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Contact the folks at warmlite.com. They love vapor barriers, even installing a VB fabric in their bags. Also,
    http://40below.com/ They have a VB vest.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Thirty yrs ago I had two pairs of fishnet underwear (long sleeved tops & long/full-length bottoms, aka "long-johns") that were intended to be worn, as one of their uses, under non-breathable vapor barrier clothing.

Don't worry, a Victoria Secret's model would NEVER, i repeat NEVER, want to be caught dead in these fishnets! "Tres chic", they definitely were NOT!

At the time, I purchased mine from LLBean. Don't know where you could get them now. Hopefully, Frank Ramos will reply to you. He has much experience with both fishnets & VBC (VB clothing).

Fishnet underwear keeps the wet VBC layer away from the skin so you don't feel "clammy" or sticky, they trap warming air, and they absorb less sweat than a similar non-fishnet material.

In my case though, I was never in a cold enough environment to use them with VB. I just used them as an air trapping base layer under a relatively tight mid-layer (which was a second advertised use of them).

Sorry, i can't be more help. My experience with VB is restricted to VB socks which i use as raingear with Trail Runners to keep my feet dry from outside moisture.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Any updates?

Looking for advice using a Golite Vapour vest this winter ice climbing in the Rockies.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

RBH Designs has a few user comments about how they have used the RBH – VB – gear.

I started this thread some time back in Jan 2007. Last week the temp's here in south Texas got down to 39 one morning and that whole week the evening temp's were about 55 to 60 (F). I was wearing both shirt and pants every night on a 40 minute – 2 mile walk.

The trick with VB gear is venting. You vent to keep from over-heating and that way you keep sweat down to about nothing. At night you want to stay just slightly cool so you don't need as hot a sleeping system. You don't want to get cold but do want to control sweating. You need to find your sweet spot with your sleep system when you use VB gear.

You want to wear next to nothing under your VB gear. At most I might wear a pair of briefs but most of the time I don't wear anything under mine. You wear it over the VB things when you need to if you stop or are not moving fast enough to stay warm.

BPL – Thread – "Testing the RBH Designs VaprThrm NTS Shirt and VaprThrm Pants

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools