Topic

some experimentation in the March household today

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition some experimentation in the March household today

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My son is learning about Libya as part of his social studies in Grade 5. I always like to do a bit at home to enhance his studies and understanding of the different cultures in our world. One way that we do that is through food. So, today we decided that we'd make something for lunch that could be found in Libya—Kara'a which is a pumpkin dip. If it turns out delicious, I will also dry some and test how well it rehydrates for the trail. I created a pumpkin hummus for my second book which dehydrated and rehydrated very well so I don't see any reason that this wouldn't work out (however, I like to thoroughly test things and not just go by gut instinct).

Here is a link to the recipe we are going to test…

Libyan Pumpkin Dip

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Okay… this was completely delicious! Craveable. I think we have a new family favorite. We served it with pita that I brushed with a little extra virgin olive oil and toasted on the grill and we also had a bit of chèvre (goat cheese). I've reserved some of it for the food dehydrator. Because the guys were eating it like it was going out of style I had to hide a bit from them… lol.

I cheated and used 2 cups of canned stewed pumpkin (plain pumpkin and not pie filling). I seasoned it with salt and fresh cracked pepper, then heated it in a frypan before adding the rest of the ingredients. I also had a hard time finding a red chili (typical of this small Ontario city) so I used a whole jalapeno instead (minus the seeds and membrane).

Terry Kelly

@tkelly255

Locale: Southern Maryland

Laurie,
    In my house we like everything pumpkin, so this will go over really well. I'm going to pick up a couple cans of the plain pumpkin when we going shopping and will make a batch this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools