Topic

Overfilling my WM bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Overfilling my WM bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Today I sent my WM Megalite 30 F. bag off to Western Mountaineering to get another 2 oz. of 800 fill down. That's as much as they will overfill it B/C any more would merely compres the rest of the down. The cost is $35. plus return shipping. Not bad considering the unstitching, filling and re-stitching involved.

I used to be able to shift down from top to bottom (no left side baffle) but now I won't have that option. But I WILL be warmer on below freezing nights (maybe by at least 5 F.).

Anyone else have their down bags "overfilled"?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I'm amazed that WM will do that so cheaply. That seems to me like a very good price for, as you said, not only two ounces of good quality down but also a fair amount of labor.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I just got back from a trip in which I started getting a little chilly in my Megalite down around freezing, and I was thinking about adding down to it. So your post is both timely and extremely helpful. Thank you!

Do you have a contact person at WM for this? Or did you just call them?

Thanks!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

"Do you have a contact person at WM for this? Or did you just call them?"

I've always wondered about getting in touch with WM as well. Their website is the only company's I've seen that has no contact info of any sort (cue the flood of people telling me how common this is). Kind of frustrating. But $35 to overfill is pretty incredible. Yay Western Mountaineering.

edited already– I guess they do have a mailing address on the website.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

That is pretty cool that they are doing that. And that is a great price. However, just throwing it out there, if someone buys their bag from Hermit's Hut, the overfill is free. They even throw in a synthetic pillow for free, or a down pillow heavily discounted. And free shipping…

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Gonna have to call them on Monday!

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

I was just thinking about adding down to my Megalite.Do they require the bag to be freshly washed? Also why would you lose the option to shift the down? Thanks. stephan.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Howdy. I once sent a Marmot bag in to Marmot in Santa Rosa to repair some damage I did in a too hot dryer, and they added 2 oz. without my asking. Later I called and asked to get my Helium overfilled, and they refused. This was a year or so ago, hopefully their policy has changed by now. stephan.

a b

@ice-axe

I have heard great things about Down Works

222 River St. Santa Cruz, CA 95060

(831) 423-9078

My buddy Sage says they rock.
    It's a family owned buisiness that makes custom sleeping bags and equiptment
    using 850 fill power down.
    If WM won't add fill your Helium you might try this place.
    WM is in San Jose CA and Down Works is just over the hill in Santa Cruz so shipping is virtually the same distance from where ever you are.
    http://www.downworks.com/downworks/Welcome.html

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Stephen: I sent Marmot my Hydrogen bag to be cleaned. I also asked them to add a few oz of down and they refused. They did however replenish down that had leaked through the fabric. They did a great job all around and I was pleased–but it took a few weeks. Apparently some customers have been unhappy with the overfill that they used to do and so they had to stop. (Please add down–wait, what have you done to my bag! it's not up to specs sort of thing.)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Western Mountaineering address can be found at Backpacker.com at their gear addresses pages.

Western Mountaineering
    1025 South Fifth St.
    San Jose, CA 9512
    Phone> (408) 287-8944

Now to buy some light down pants like the WM Flash to pair with my EB down sweater to get an even lower temp rating for the Megalite. I'm thinking perhaps down to 10 F. with a warm balaclava, heavy socks and light gloves.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I sent in my Mitylte to have overfill added. Weight before 25.2oz, now 30.1 They charged me $25 and the invoice says it is for 2oz. of down. I'm happy. Got it back in 10 days too.

So $25 for overfill and return shipping is an absolute bargain.

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

I sent my Utralite in for overfill.

It went in at 28.7 oz (slightly under spec) and came back to me spot on at 32 oz. It is much warmer now, but doesn't compress quite as small. I prefer it now though. It is pretty close to a Versalite now :)

There was no charge, so I'm guessing they realized my bag was underfilled to start will.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

WM was backlogged for quite a while, so I suspect a lot of us got back our bags around the same time. I sent in both a Summerlite and an Ultralite to be restuffed, and yes, overstuffed. DItto for the pretty fair price they charged.

Not a "brand new" weight, but before I hiked the AT with it my summerlite in a cuben drybag weighed 571g, or 20.1 oz. Now in the same drybag it weighs 679g, or 24.0 oz, so almost 3 oz heavier. I'm sure that some of that isn't overstuffed weight, but "bringing it back to specs" weight, with the rest being overstuffing.

A similar comparison to the Ultralite, before the AT in a silnylon drybag it weighed 844g, or 31.2 oz, now it weighs 988g, or 34.9 oz, so a little more than a 3 oz gain there.

I didn't weigh the bags just before sending them in, but both had lost significant featherage over the course of quite a lot of use. Holding them up to a light source there were clear and numerous gaps, which are all filled-in now. I'm going to be a warm and happy boy this year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Today I sent my WM Megalite 30 F. bag off to Western Mountaineering to get another 2 oz. of 800 fill down."

How do you make the arrangements to have this done? My Summerlite is due for a little TLC.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ton – just call WM and let them know to expect your Summerlite. I don't own a WM, but I know folks have had overfills done — either at time of purchase, or some time thereafter.

NOW, if WM is ever willing to customize away the awful red color of the Summerlite for blue or green instead, then I'll buy one, no further questions asked.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

forget the overfill, just shift the down. You dont need much (any?) beneath you. Why pack the extra weight for nothing, and also lose the ability to make the bag less warm in warm temps too by shifting down to bottom?

Or just wear more insulating clothing to bed.

Unless you are using bag way outside of its temp range, I dont see the need.

But from the western mountaineering website :

Sleeping Bag Overfills
    MegaLite 2 oz 20.00
    Apache/UltraLite 2 oz 20.00
    Badger/AlpinLite 3 oz 30.00
    Antelope/VersaLite 3 oz 30.00
    Kodiak/Sequoia 4 oz 40.00
    Lynx 4 oz 40.00
    Puma 5 oz 50.00
    Bison 5 oz 50.00
    Foot Box Overfill 1.5 oz 18.00

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

@Tom

Western Mountaineering
    1025 South Fifth St.
    San Jose, CA 9512
    Phone (408) 287-8944

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

@Martin B:
    A couple of extra ounces in the bag is always lighter than carrying extra sleeping clothing.

As far as shifting down to the top and then having none on the bottom, that works less good for side sleepers who can roll the bag with them somewhat, exposing parts of the bag without down. But, its all in your own sleeping system and each person is different.

To have your bag overfilled, mail it to WM with a note inside. I'd call and confirm receipt after shipping it too. Mine took 4 weeks from the day it left my house to receiving it again. I had to call and email a couple of times to follow-up.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Most anyone going into conditions with night temps in the low 30s or less would have 1)light fleece for hiking and 2) puffy for camp and 3) long underwear with them anyway.

The tenets of backpacking light, are to make as much use of what you have as possible, and avoid extra weight.

Again, if someone is attempting to make a 30 degree bag perform into 20 degree conditions, thats understandable.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got it, Ken. Many thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Unless you are using bag way outside of its temp range,"

And that is precisely the point.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools