Topic

The Big Sur – over nighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The Big Sur – over nighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nino Lorenzo

@neanyoe

Locale: Bay Area

Planning on backpacking the big sur this weekend with a friend. Driving down and getting started Saturday morning.. planning on coming home Sunday BUT

* We NEED A STARTING POINT, GOOD HIKE/SCENERY and DESTINATION *

Any suggestions?

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Check out Willow Creek

if you had more time, id say head up to Sykes..but ya want at least two night for that to make it worth it.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Check the weather report. Very high chance of rain there this weekend, listed as 90% tonight as well. Since you didn't mention any mileages you want to or can do per day, can't make any real suggestions beyond what was already said. Personally I'd never go to Big Sur for just a night, too long a drive. Now going in Friday night and hiking in with lights for two nights total, that would be interesting.

Think about starting at China Camp and hiking in from there, staying up on the high levels, camp in one of the central camp places, can't remember the names, off of Pine Ridge trail, Bear Basin is one of them I think unless I got the name wrong, Divide might be another, I think that's right off the trail, but I could have it wrong. That's not a bad hike, about 3, maybe 4 hours depending on your speed. Somewhat reminiscent of the Sierras up there, it's cool. But the drive there is over a long dirt road, so that will add a lot to your time, probably a bad idea for an overnighter.

Big Sur ranger station to Barlow Flat on Pine Ridge is an easy hike, if you get to Barlow with 2 hours of daylight remaining, or an hour and decent headlamps, you can make it to Sykes, though most of the miles from Barlow to Sykes are uphill, but personally I'd rather stay at Barlow Flat, than deal with the overcrowded and over-impacted Sykes. If it's raining you'll see very few people though. Sykes is only between 10 and 12 miles, nobody knows for sure, all the signs differ in their mileages, but Barlow is a safe 6 to 7 miles I'd say.

I read that there might be some downed trees, but they might also have been cleared, they aren't a big deal, you just clamber carefully over them, it's kind of fun.

Watch out for Poison Oak and Ticks. Ticks are small, not big.

Also realize that there are very few flat spots in Big Sur's mountain areas, so you can't really just stop to camp unless you get to a campground, generally speaking. Consider that re hiking in the rain, ie, be prepared to actually hike to your destination all the way in the rain.

Nino Lorenzo

@neanyoe

Locale: Bay Area

After posting I did a little research. I think we'll be doing sykes. heading out early saturday morning and getting started through the evening.. set camp and mush back down sunday morning and head home.

Yeah it says rain Sunday morning so we're prepared for that, I hope :)

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I'm going to spend thanksgiving (wednesday through Sunday) in Carmel at my wife's grandmother's home. She's encouraged my idea of taking a trip down to Big Sur on Friday a.m. and doing a one or two night solo trip (all dependent on whether we meet up with ou friends and their kids in Santa Cruz Sunday a.m.). I have never gone hiking in Big Sur. Only to the Sierras and North (Pt. Reyes and Mendocino Cty.). What trail might you recommend for someone looking to do 10 to 15 miles a day Friday and Saturday. If there's a one-night or two-night trip you recommend, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Check out this site for trail info.

http://www.ventanawild.org/

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Thank you Mark. I have seen that before but did not remember the link. Also, I plan for wet weather and hope to bring my MLD Trailstar, but I've heard ventana does not offer much in terms of site selection. Should I plan to use my SMD Skyscape trekker instead? Maybe a 5×8 tarp and bivy? Any help/opinions appreciated.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I think this is closest to Carmel proximity wise, and where I want to go in tomorrow. Looks like a loop could be made coming back along Church Creek trail. Otherwise I will go to Pine Ridge Falls and continue on toward Big Sur/Sykes and then out Sunday a.m., mostly the same way I went in. The only issue is the 6-ish miles to the falls is a little underwhelming in this near perfect weather were having and I am not seeing much on places to camp beyond that. My map is good, though, but if anyone has suggestions in the northern Ventana area, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Brian, look up the Ventana Double Cone Hike. 15 mile trail to the summit. I haven't been there yet, but I plan on taking some cross country routes and climbing around the window, kandlebinder, and the double cone (all connected on the same massive ridge) this winter. If you do go that route, keep in mind that the Double Cone summit is just below 5000 feet and you could encounter snow.

The pine ridge trail is beautiful and amazing near the ocean. I haven't been up near China Camp. The problem is that the Pine Ridge Trail is massively crowded and over impacted. I would recommend staying away from Sykes, almost everyone on the trail crowds there for the hot springs. Lately I have been using the pine ridge trail as an entrance to explore around the big sur river, which can be very remote in the areas away from camps. Barlow Flat is a super nice place, one of the best camp sites I have ever seen.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I have a 3 day, 11/16-18, to La Ventana (the window) and Kindlbinder from the Boy Scout Camp and up Jackson Creek. Should be interesting if the weather holds.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah, that's the same route I am taking. I imagine with the wind storms last winter, the trail (if there even is one) will be in horrible condition. I don't mind some good creekwacking.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools