Topic

SMD CUBEN HAVEN!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD CUBEN HAVEN!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Parker

@pharoah

Locale: New England

Finally, SMD has announced the production of a cuben haven! What do y'all think about this forthcoming shelter?

My initial thoughts: 8-ounce weight saving sounds well worth an extra $150, considering MLD Duomid cuben upgrade saves only 4 oz for an extra $200. I can't imagine how the cuben would compromise the performance of this shelter, and it should, at least to some degree, solve the design's sagging problem that has been discussed here. Seems like this has some pretty awesome 3-season potential. It would only be slightly heavier than the hex twin with a floor, and it would offer much more usable space in addition to modular components and superior weather protection. Now I understand the Duomid offers 4-season capability, but the cuben Haven should be a superior two-person shelter in the three temperate seasons, at least in my humble opinion. Thoughts??

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Man, that's exciting! but only 8oz weight savings? So it would be about 24oz for haven tarp and innernet? That's a little disappointing, because I love this design, but the zpacks hexamid twin that has been on the top of my list would come out to what I estimate around 15oz give or take. Although it sacrifices a little in the ease of entry/exit. Choices… Choices…
    Seems the longer I put off buying lighter gear, the lighter the gear gets!

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Love the SMD Haven design. Now I know what to ask for
    for Christmas!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very good news….I'll have to keep this shelter in mind when I buy something this winter. I've long been wanting them to make the Haven in cuben, and yeah it should reduce sag in the canopy.

Nick, the main difference between the Hexamid and the Haven is that the Hexamid is a single wall design. That accounts for a huge portion of the weight difference and the correct decision depends a lot on where you hike and your tolerance for condensation. Also I think the Haven is going to be significantly more roomy, but I haven't really crunched the numbers.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I have a Cuben Wild Oasis for sale RIGHT NOW if any one is interested ;)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53236

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Should be a great tent.

Light enough for one, big enough for 2, full double wall, and the lightest thing on the market in that category. No stretch, no sag. Maybe no drum-tight pitch either, but what good is a tight pitch that gets slack after a while anyway, esp in rain.

Actually saves another 1+ oz over the sil version if they tape the seams so no seam sealing is necessary (which they SHOULD do)

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

"Nick, the main difference between the Hexamid and the Haven is that the Hexamid is a single wall design." – Dan Durston

Actually, I was thinking of the hexamid with a bug shelter, so it would also be a double wall design. He doesn't have a twin bug shelter on his site, but I've talked to him about it, and he's willing to make one. Assuming a twin bug shelter would come out around 11.3oz(using the difference between the solo and solo+ weights, added to the solo+) and the tarp w/beak is 5oz. Would be about 16.3oz for a double walled hexamid with heavy bug shelter floor. 14.3oz w/ lite floor.

But, I still like the design of the haven for the dual entrances and probably a bit more comfortable to move around in for the other person. And, if I make the wife carry it, the weight difference doesn't affect me. ;) This is gonna make for a tough decision.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I'm exited about the Haven in Cuben – at 10 oz for two people. My main use would be for trips with my wife — and she would prefer to have the inner net too. So far SMD is not considering to also offer the Haven Net Tent in Cuben in addition to the silnylon version. With enough interest Ron might make that an option.

What are the thoughts on this forum? Are there other people who would like to see a net tent in cuben to go with the Cuben Haven?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd still prefer the Skyscape X if I'm spending the money for Cuben fabric.

>Fast setup
    >hybrid single/double wall
    >optional "porch"
    >great 2-sided netting ventilation in fair weather

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

There's not that much silnylon in the net tent as I recall, as it's mostly no-see-um netting. I think it's mostly just the floor that is silnylon. I'm not a fan of light cuben for floors…I really prefer 1.2oz or 1.5oz cuben for a floor as the lighter stuff can't really handle the abrasion/wear IMO unless you're super careful.

A floor made of 1.2oz or 1.5oz cuben wouldn't save any weight, so you'd mostly be spending a lot more money to get a floor that's more waterproof and not so slippery. It would be nice, but likely not a big seller.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

eagerly waiting to see how this turns out myself. Should be a great 2 person option.

Id like to see them produce an inner net for 1 or for 2 people too. A one person version should be sub 20 oz, with plenty of covered room for gear or a dog. If they dont, bearpaw will likely be making them on request for someone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools