Topic

Warmer alternative to neo air all season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warmer alternative to neo air all season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

This is a companion thread to my quilt/sleeping bag question. I have a Neo Air all season large, and I'm looking for something warmer for shoulder seasons. There's the exped downmat which sounds very warm, but it's rather heavy. Any other good options less than around 1.5lbs? –I have a strong preference for 25" wide pads.

Thanks,

rhz

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Kookabay offers filled pads. I have two and like them. Warm and light. I also have a short NeoAir.

Steve Gaioni
    BPL Member

@sgaioni

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Something warmer than a Neoair all season (blueish color) for shoulder seasons? Do you actually have a standard (yellow) Neoair?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

At 4.9 R-value the All Season should be a fine shoulder season pad. That is what I am using right now in northern Minnesota.

I will probably have to go to my Kooka Bay R-9 pad in December though. It is hard to go wrong with their pads for cold temps and my new one came with an Instaflator made to fit their new valves. Yay!

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Thanks for the responses. I'm an extremely cold sleeper and found the all season to be cold near freezing. Hence the interest in something warmer.

thanks again.

David Ure

@familyguy

This seems to be a common thread regarding the All Season.

Ray, any chance there will be a BPL review on the All Season confirming the 4.9R value?

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

The NeoAir XTherm, which is due for release in 2012, is claimed to have an R-value of 5.7.

http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearcaster/2011/07/therm-a-rest-neoair-gets-warmer-and-lighter.html

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

What quilt are you using? The All-Season should be quite warm well below freezing when paired with a bag/quilt also matched to the temperature. FWIW I've taken a standard short NeoAir comfortably into the 20s with a 30-degree rated bag and would expect the All-Season to extend the system further than that. You're the first All-Season owner I've read any feedback from, as they're just getting on the market (the Trekker has been out longer).

In any case, you might either want either a down mattress or to add a thin foam pad to your existing pad.

Cheers,

Rick

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

> Ray, any chance there will be a BPL review on the All Season confirming the
    > 4.9R value?

I don't know David that is Roger the Mad Scientist's territory. ;-)

I got that myself but will most likely do one of my own reviews on it later this winter. I don't have the means to verify R-values though. Can just go by what I know from comparing it to my other pads. I can say right now it is a heck of a lot warmer than my original NeoAir's or my BA IAC pad. The new material is more comfortable too and it is not as "squishy" feeling.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Ray.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Maybe the OP actually has the NeoAir Trekker, not the All-Season? In any case the new NeoAir Xtherm in a size large sounds perfect for the OP's requirements.

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

The new neoair xtherm looks pretty nice. Any ideas when in 2012 its coming out?

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I'm willing to believe the OP – I was very underwhelmed with the Yellow Neoair's claim of R2.5

Alex Belding

@pinnhead4

Locale: Michigan

I spoke with a Cascade Designs rep a few weeks back as he dropped of a dealer book at the shop I work for. Retailers are ordering now the Xtherm should be in stores in early spring.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I would just add closed cell foam to your existing setup. The only drawback is bulk. You could try a Z-Rest, which isn't as bulky for the amount of insulation. If that isn't enough, just add more foam.

Patty LaBelle
    BPL Member

@gozlin7

Locale: Southest Michigan

I own both and have used both in similar conditions down to about 35. The All Season seems tiny bit cooler to me but only because when inflated, it's about 17.5 inches and my arms keep falling off and lying on the ground. In temperatures down to about 40, they felt about the same. My shoulders are fairly broad so I'm getting rid of the All Season for that reason alone; I loved the weight versus my older pump-style Synmat. If it was 20 inches wide when inflated, it would replace my Exped mat. I'm waiting to see the Xterm.

P.S. I'm a very cold sleeper so I use an insulated pad year round.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hey Dan,

It's the all season trekker.

Thanks.

rhz

bill roderick

@jumaaa

Locale: shenandoah

another alternative – I ordered a stephenson downmat built to my specs – 5"10" and 20 inches wide at the widest part, and using the same amount of down as the regular size mattress. It weighs 19 ounces. I am a cold sleeper and I like it fine down to mid-teens. It may be ok at lower temps but I've not tried it. I did have to obtain a cuben pump sack and have the valve sewn in so that whole thing is probably another ounce but its also the stuff sack from my bag.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

"It's the all season trekker."

Hi Rafi,

Don't mean to be a noodge, but that's like saying it's the Camry Corolla. T-Rest makes the Trekker series and the All-Season series NeoAirs, along with the original NeoAir (three total). Is it possible you bought a Trekker thinking it's an All Season?

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/category

Cheers,

Rick

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Yes, sorry: it's the "NeoAir All Season." I paid $169.95 for it at backcountry.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools