Topic

My MYOG quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My MYOG quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

new quiltnew quilt 2New quilt 3

Momentum 90
    900 fill down
    12.4 oz.

Thank you Jamie Short for the inspiration.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

12.4 oz! How much of that is down? I'm a little jealous…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice. What dimensions did you settle on?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

yes please give more details, that's sweet!

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Thank you for all of the nice comments.

I am only 5'5-5'6, so I didn't need alot of material which allowed for a very low weight.

My starting dimensions were; 71.5" x 52". The width tapered at the 24" mark ( Going north to south) to 40".

I ordered and used 6oz. of down (thru-hiker).

Velcro and drawstring were used for the foot box.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

How cold is comfortable down to?

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

I haven't tried it out yet,finished yesterday. According to Jamie Shortt, whose instructions I followed. He figured his would go down to 40 degrees and like wise, so am I. I will be going out this weekend to enjoy the fruits of my labor!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Looks great Patrick! I'm diggin' the brown color.

Ryan

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

That looks great. Did you sew through, or use baffles?

I am getting ready to salvage all the down from an old bed comforter that had the down migrate through seams, to the outer edges. Love the design you made.

Edit: Did you use this design? http://www.lytw8.com/uploads/LytW8_Summer_Quilt_Instructions.pdf

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Keith, you are correct about the instructions and I did sew through.Also, I did omit the top draw string from mine… something about a thin rope around my neck just doesn't sit right with me!

Ryan; that's Coyote brown from thru-hiker. It is easier on the eyes than the m50 orange but thinking about it now,the m50 Orange would be great with hunting season on and it would've saved 1- 2 ounces possibly…. hmmm

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Yes, but now you avoid the need to buy a green hat to complete the carrot look that is inevitable with the bright orange fabric.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Patrick, Your quilt turned out extremely well. I like how you thought through the modifications to make it unique for you. Eliminating the top cord should work just fine for a 40 degree quilt and the custom length also reduced some weight. This allowed you to go up to M90 (a great material) with very little added weight. Though I am partial to the carrot look, I must say the brown is earthingly pleasing.

On the temp rating, you should be able to measure a solid 1.5" of loft. This is generally accepted as enough to get you to 40 degrees YMMV. A bivy will also help at the edge of the range. This quilt really shines in the 50's – 70's because it is so versatile…drawn close, open, under you, flat, etc. It also makes a nice blanket to wrap around you while sitting in camp. Though I have not done this in the field it does layer nicely under a 3 season quilt to extend a 3 season quilt's range.

Jamie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools