Topic

32oz/1L energy drink cans?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 32oz/1L energy drink cans?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was in a grocery store and spotted Monster energy drink cans that hold 32oz. They look like they would trump the Heineken or Foster's cans. Has anyone tried them?

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Two recent posts here and here, but these are 24 ounce resealable cans.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Nope— I've seen those 25oz cans with the lid. The ones I saw were 32oz and pop-tops, just like a beer can.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

So is it taller or wider than a Foster's can? The problem with all of these cans is they become less efficient as the can gets taller. If it's wider than a Foster's can it might be more efficient after it's cut down to size.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The diameter is what I couldn't gauge in the store. Definitely taller, but it should be given the extra capacity.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

slightly thinner and way taller than the fosters, I dont see much of an advantage other then capacity. Shape doesn't seem to be good for boiling or packing :D

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Possibly the same can as these ones :
    http://www.rexamcatalogue.com/beverage-can-europe-and-asia/?SB=2157079
    If that is the case, it is just taller but same diameter as the standard 12 oz cans.
    Franco

Eli .

@feileung

The faceted, 22oz, Sapporo cans are super sturdy. Not ideally shaped though.

Might work for somebody who just wants a 2c pot?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Sapporo cans are stainless steel , not ideal for this.
    Franco

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I have a few of these cans but IMO, not a good choice for a pot. They're not very sturdy and are as weak as regular soda cans. You can however, make a DIY Trangia out of them.

Eli .

@feileung

That explains the "sturdy" part I guess. Doh.

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

I don't see why you would say the 24oz can could not be a good pot. I've been using one as a pot slash water bottle for months now and love it! I've been using the same one the whole time and have had no issues with durability. Also have had great boil times with 2 cups of cold water. The diameter of the can is NOT the same as a 12oz standard can.

If you do a search for a Monster "BFC" can, you will find a 32oz can much wider than the standard 12oz can. I'm not sure if it is the 3.25" diameter that a Fosters can is, but it will swallow a standard can. The "BFC" may have been what Dale has seen.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I did a search on "Monster BFC" and that is what I saw. I couldn't find the actual dimensions.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

They are the same diameter as the Foster's

I added ridges for extra strength and reduced them down to a 2 cup capacity.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-ridgline-pot.php

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools